Epilogue: The Council

Start from the beginning

Although there was space for a tenth, no one had ever been able to figure out what the carving on the tenth seat meant. 

So for centuries, the seat had always been empty.

Iliria and Loana made their votes clear. Ivan and Huntington, the representing vampires, voted as well.

- Present Day -

The Great Hall was drowned in chaos. The only solace she could find in that place was when Iliria accidentally fell asleep. It had happened to her twice, since the screaming and shouting had started six hours ago.

It seemed to last forever.

"This is your fault!" someone said, causing Iliria to stir in her seat, suddenly wide awake. Although pain seared through her, anger soon followed.

How dare he blame me?

"You know nothing of what you speak!" Iliria shot back, biting back the venom in her voice. She would have ripped his throat out if she could have.

The bloodsucker deserved it. He had probably taken more lives than she could ever begin to count. Damn those blood bags—they were all just a pathetic charade!

Ivan stared holes into her, his black eyes fitting to the cold face that they belonged to. His expression was one of rage. But he didn't scare Iliria. Vampires didn't scare shifters. Especially not wolves.

"I know that this whole mess started when your son decided to go rogue," he spat, Nicholas and his wife agreeing with him with quiet murmurs.

Iliria snapped her head towards the pair, staring them down with the hardest glare she could muster. Without giving them the satisfaction of an answer, she steered her attention back to the lifeless piece of bones. Ivan.

"I feel more shame for what Reece has done than you do anger, believe me. He is not my son. He is a fool of a child who knows nothing of responsibilities. If I ever see either of them again, I will take severe actions. Don't you doubt me, old one."

"It does nothing to the fact that they still are your children. How could you let this happen, right under your nose?" Nicholas accused.

It was hard to keep her cool when everyone was throwing accusations at her like she was the dummy at target practise. It annoyed her immensely, too. She deserved more respect than that. And if she had to draw blood to get it, she sure as hell would.

Starting with the imbecile staring at her, fangs bared.

"Enough!" a voice boomed, cutting off all further discussions. The hall grew silent, something Iliria had almost forgotten had ever been possible.

Only then did she realise how long ago it had been since these halls had been calm.

They'd left three days ago. Hell took over the second it was discovered that a third of the pack had gone missing.

Madame Esmara's curls were more of a mess than Iliria's feelings were—and that was saying a lot. It was clear that the supreme elder hadn't taken her granddaughter's absence very well. All of them were ashamed. Disgraced.

It was pure outrage.

"No one leaves their homes after nightfall. Starting tomorrow, we will restrict outdoor activity, this applies especially to shifters. Iarhus hours will be increased. We will have meetings every day until this has been dealt with. There is no way in all of the gods' names that this will happen a second time. We have learnt our lesson. From now on, there shall not be an alpha. There shall not be a coven leader. And there shall not be a managing officer anymore either. We are the council. And only we will decide what happens in this town, down to the seemingly most unimportant decision. Everything."

Madame Esmara's voice was hard and cold, quite like Iliria had grown accustomed to. She too left little space for emotions when she was here and even less when she met pack-mates outside of Everett Hall. Iliria didn't particularly like the woman, but she understood the necessity of being distant when distance was needed.

There was a slither of doubt passing through Iliria when she thought about the repercussions these drastic actions would probably have. She didn't think Everett Valley would react understandingly to the new rules. Iliria even feared it might cause a greater uproar than if they'd keep it quiet. But it wasn't her place to decide, Madame Esmara's tone was final.

"Now, we step in. Patrols will be provided from each of the three races and placed at the borders of our land. No one enters or leaves Everett Valley without the council knowing the second someone tries. Also, Van'heda will be cancelled this year. There will be no celebrating the end of winter or celebrating anything in general for the time being." Her icy eyes scanned the room, almost daring anyone to oppose her.

The entire table sat in silence as the tension within their walls only grew more intense.

Iliria tried to suppress the doubts sprouting within her.

Madame Esmara was not finished. "Lastly, we will be monitoring everyone more closely. Including council members."

Iliria knew that now was the moment Madame Esmara would have said: This meeting is adjourned.

But she didn't. Instead, she dropped one last bomb.

"To make matters worse, the Thrakos family has gone missing, too."