Chapter 2: Jamie's POV

I ran to the small airplane as its propellers slowed down to a stop. I clapped the lad on his back as he got out of the plan, a wide grin on on both of our faces.

"See, not as hard as you thought it would be!" I laughed. Alec gave me an awkward side hug before pumping his fist in the air.

"It was AWESOME!" He did a happy dance before coming back up to me. "I was so nervous at first, but I remembered everythin' you said to keep steady. I canna wait to go back up!" I laughed again. Even though I was generally an easy going guy, his joy was infectious.

"Okay, calm down for a second, lad. What did I teach you post flight?"

"That while the CAA doesn't have a required post-flight checklist, Jamie does and who do you want to piss aff more?" Alec recited the words I had taught him for the last twenty or so hours of flight as he began to block the airplane wheel.

I couldn't stop grinning at my student. I hadn't been teaching long, but every time one of my kids got to their solo stage or actual license, I felt like weirdly like a proud father.

After I helped Alec check the oil and put the airplane back in the hangar, I finished up some paper work on Alec and checked my schedule for tomorrow's students. It was supposed to be typical Scottish deary day, and I needed to be sure my pilots were trained enough to deal with it. I felt my phone buzz in my back pocket. Pulling it out, I saw a text from one of my roommates and oldest friends Ian Murray. I opened it, figuring he was checking when I got off work. Since I came back to Scotland eight months ago, we had regularly gotten dinner or drinks. Right about his text, I responded telling him I would meet him in about an hour at our usual pub.

I ran my fingers through my hair, feeling it standing up with my curls sticking out everywhere. It was starting to curl around my ears, and I vaguely contemplated a hair cut. However, it felt good to not have my hair buzzed anymore, so I kept putting it off. Distracted, I looked around the office for my keys for my bike so I could head over to the pub. No use starting a trip down memory lane.

***

I took the scenic ride to the pub as we didn't get a ton of days with this nice of weather. I had bought the bike shortly after my return home, an ill advised purchase if you asked my older sister, Jenny. Given how frequently I rode in the rain, she wasn't exactly wrong. Not that I would tell her.

I had beat Ian and our other roommate John to the pub, unsurprisingly. Ian worked as an irrigation engineer and frequently had meetings outside and up in the Highlands. John Grey, my other best friend and roommate, worked in diplomatic relationships. He basically was always working and always late for social gatherings. I grabbed our usual table in the corner, setting down my helmet and leather jacket.

While waiting for them, I headed over to the bar to buy the first round of drinks. I gave the usual waitress, Catriona, a smile and a wink as I pulled out my wallet. "How's it going, Cat?"

She pulled out three mugs and began pouring our usuals. "Not too bad yit. Where are th' boys?"

"Should be any minute." I pulled out a few pounds and put them on the bar, tipping generously. Catriona put the mugs in front of me, leaning on the bar to give me a tempting view. She had become bolder in her flirting over the past view visits, and I couldn't deny I was tempted.

"I get off at 10," she said with a wink, picking up the money. I smiled, grabbing the mugs. Catriona would be fun, and I really liked the idea of getting in some fun soon. I had been living like a monk since I got back to Scotland. It was starting to get old.

Maybe I would actually take her up on the offer tonight.

I was still smiling at the possibility as I placed the beers in front of Ian and John. They had clearly just arrived as they were shedding off their winter layers. I knew then that while the thought of hooking up with the bartender seemed tempting, I was more likely close the night and go home with these two.