Thirty Five: Out of Thin Air

Two chapters in one weekend? WHO IS SHE!? JK, just feeling really inspired lately and I'm so glad. Trying to make the most of it with the time I've got left on break. Hope you enjoy!

"Hey, do you have any special requests for tonight? I'm pulling into Randall's right now."

"I thought your dad was handling the menu tonight?" Zack asked, then hissed. Before I could ask, I heard the familiar clank of a studio door shutting swiftly behind him, and I chuckled. I knew just how betraying the sun could be after an entire day in isolation in the studio. "Is he making brisket?"

"Mmhmm," I hummed, scanning the parking lot for a free space. "Brisket, ribs, smoked chicken... I'm on salad, bread, and alcohol duty."

"Oh, fuck yes," he sighed on the other end of the line, and I could practically hear him drooling. The door clanged shut behind him again, and I heard the familiar cool-guy cadence of none other than Brian Haner, who'd be joining us this evening, too. Zack and I figured it'd be easier to break it to Brian and Charlotte that we were back together rather than the entire group at once, to avoid what'd happened at the show nearly a month before. Jimmy and Cara were supposed to come, too, but Cara's role as an editorial assistant whisked her away to New York at the last minute, and Jimmy had decided to chase her there.

So, the pair that already knew how it felt to be in our shoes, my family, Zack's brother and his girlfriend, and hopefully an appearance from the ever-elusive Ryan Dawson, would break some bread at my parent's house tonight. I was ecstatic. "Andi's on salad duty and not fajita duty? Fuck dude. That sucks."

"Fuck off, Haner. You're lucky to still be welcomed at my Dad's after you destroyed the fountain in the backyard."

"That was a great party," he said with such indifference, I could practically see him shrugging.

And just for a moment, I could see that statue crumbling to the ground, instantly seventeen again.

*********************************************************

"Glad that's settled. That's something that we won't have to worry about in a few years," I said with a playful smile, standing up. Glancing around, you almost couldn't tell that we'd snuck away from our friends to do the deed. It was completely out of character for us, sure, but so much had changed. More practices, more studio time, more time at work. It'd all sped up and gotten so crazy—that was why we threw this party in the first place.

A large cheer resounded then, reminding us that the party was still in full swing outside these four walls, and that we weren't missed.

"Hey," Zack called out to me, catching my wrist as I reached for the door knob. "I love you."

"I love you, too."

I kept my fingers twined with his and opened the door, only to be met with a panic-stricken Serena. "Wow, you two aren't slick," she commented quickly, looking us over with amusement in her eyes, a contrast to her otherwise fearful expression.

"Why are you so twitchy? What's wrong?"

She glared. "Your boyfriend's two bone-headed friends are trying to ride the fountain in the backyard. You know, the one your father just gave my mom for her birthday?"