Fourteen: The First Outing Back Home.

"This one's for Andi. May her return to California be filled with happiness, love, and prosperity," Serena gestured grandly, her half-filled glass of red wine high in the air.

"Are you fucking serious, Grandma? There's no way we're toasting to that," Jimmy scoffed, earning a snicker from my end. "Anyways, Andi, it's so great to have you back. You are not allowed to leave ever again, except to tour, and that's final. Let's get this party started before I fall asleep out of the boredom that Serena inevitably brings."

While Serena rolled her eyes, I only grinned and raised my beer high in the air as my friends and I clinked glasses. "So motivating," Carly murmured after sipping on her cocktail. "I almost wish I didn't have to go home to my fiance tomorrow."

"You'll be back soon, especially since management finally settled on a recording session," I said with a wave of my hand. The guys had dispersed back to the pool table, where a tournament was currently underway, leaving us, Violet, and Serena to ourselves back at the table we'd claimed. Three organic pizzas were sitting in the center of the table, surrounded by emptied bottles of beer and whatever cocktail had previously occupied the glassware. I reached for one of the cold slices and smiled as the basil hit my tongue. 

"Wow, Andi, I know you've been dry since you've moved back but seriously, you've gotta learn to enjoy yourself in private," Serena said as I finished chewing. 

"Pizza can always please better than a man ever could," I shrugged. "Bad day? Pizza. No time to cook? Pizza. Period making you crazy? Well, pizza and something else certainly helps immensely."

She rolled her eyes. "If only my body didn't hate me after I ate pizza. Yours is probably keen on most carbs now, right?"

I shrugged. "Tour life strikes again, what can I say?"

Before long, she went to retrieve more drinks for the four of us, and after I finished my last bite, I glanced around the bar lazily, my eyes taking in the guitars hanging on the walls. There were also a few pieces of art scattered, but mostly film posters, old tour posters, and framed quotes adorned the dark walls. Considering that I was underaged the last time I was here for an extended stay, I had to admit that the California bar scene thus far was a stark cry from the one in New York. T-shirts and jeans were thankfully the norm here, save for the few hard-working business types trying to awaken their numbed mind. Women were also dressed pretty casual, too, which made my outfit of an old NYU hoodie, leggings, and moccasins seem almost out of place. Then again, I'd be kicked out of a place for showing up like this in New York. You really had to dress the part to play, it seemed, and I was grateful to sit in comfort for once. 

Not to mention that the noise level hardly raised above what you'd typically encounter in a bar-- well, excluding our round of shots, or another party's cries out for the same reason. Still, New York just seemed like a loud memory in my brain compared to the lax nature of California, and although I loved NYC with all my heart, I was already so much happier here than I was in the city. 

"Andi, look, they're having an open mic night here soon! Should I sign you up?" Carly asked, hand poised over the contact sheet with a coy smile. 

I glared. "You let Drunk Andi think she could sing Free Bird the last time we did that. So, no, don't you dare. Sign Alex up though, since he'll be here by then."

"You know, if you weren't slurring so much, your Skynard cover would've been viral in an instant," she said as she scribbled his name down. "You may deny it, but with a little polishing, your voice would sell in an instant."

"I'll stick to guitar," I said before taking a long swig of beer while she just shook her head. 

Violet slid back onto her cushioned stool at the table almost completely unnoticed, chewing her lip as she stared down the napkin dispenser on the table. I'd opened my mouth to ask what was wrong, but Carly came into view then, carefully running over in her black suede stilletto boots, a look of warning on her face.