Chapter 10 - "Me Too,"

Kevin looked down at the boy in his arms, who was contently reading the book now that he had calmed down after the nightmare. He was starting to get a little worried about his nightmares as they didn't just seem like nightmares. They came back every time he went to sleep and always sent him spiraling into a panic attack when he would awake. This afternoon's dream was one of his worst, he had told Kevin.

Connor reached up to turn the page and snuggled even deeper against Kevin, making him smile. He lovingly brushed a strand of reddish hair out of Connor's face, earning an adorable smile from him,  and turned to the book himself.

Once the two finished the chapter, Kevin set his bookmark between the pages and closed it, setting it on the bed next to him. Connor let out a small whine as he repositioned slightly against Kevin.

"We should probably go downstairs before the others come up to find us," Kevin explained, petting Connor's soft hair, which was still damp from their adventures out in the rain.

"I hate it when you're right," Connor mumbled as he started to sit up. Kevin flashed a goofy grin in response as they both sat up. "Kevin, fix your tie," Connor laughed, seeing the brunette's askew and loosened tie. Kevin blushed a little bit and adjusted his tie, along with the rest of his clothes that had gotten messed up from the ginger napping on him.

"Oh, Con, your sleeve..." He started, his voice trailing off as he looked at Connor's pale skin. He could see Connor's eyes widen as he realized what Kevin could see. He started to pull his sleeve down, but Kevin's hand rested atop his and he stopped. Connor looked down, avoiding eye contact with Kevin. He led the boy to the bed and sat down, motioning for Connor to sit next to him.

"Are... Are these from today?" He asked in a soft and gentle tone. Connor almost seemed surprised at the way he spoke.

"I... I uhm- I'm sorry, I just... Uhm-" He mumbled, still gazing down. Kevin gently reached a hand under Connor's jaw and guided his face to look at him. He saw nothing but guilt in his eyes. He knew that Connor was expecting him to yell at him or scold him, but instead, he simply pulled up his own sleeve, his eyes never leaving Connor's. 

"Me too," He whispered. Connor's eyes broke the gaze and looked down at the red spiderweb across Kevin's arm. Kevin never looked down at his own arm and instead kept his gaze upon the face of the ginger, whose eyes were starting to tear up. Connor looked down at his own arm and Kevin gently rested his hand over his cuts, careful not to directly touch them. The two sat in silence, just staring at each other and trying to hold back tears.

After a few minutes, Connor broke the silence. "I... You didn't yell at me or tell me to stop..." He started cautiously. Kevin actually let himself let out a gentle laugh. Connor seemed confused by that.

"Con, I would never do that. I know what it feels like to be told to 'throw it away' or to be yelled at to stop. I know how badly it hurts." He paused, blinking away any tears. "Not the cuts, but the emotional pain. The battle in your own head. I know what it feels like to trade tears for blood." Connor's eyes widened slightly as he leaned in and wrapped his arms around Kevin's waist. He returned the gentle embrace and they both buried their heads into each other's shoulders. "Don't you dare ever forget that you're not alone in this, Con."

A few moments later, both the boys sniffed and laughed a little bit. They pulled down their sleeves and wiped their cheeks. Kevin grabbed Connor's hand as he started to stand up and pulled him back down onto the bed. Connor smiled as he grabbed Kevin's tie and pulled him into a gentle kiss. Kevin smiled against Connor's lips and melted into him. This kiss was different than the one they had shared in the rain; that one was deep and adventurous. This one, though, was warm and comforting, reminding them both that they were not alone and that they had each other.