Chapter Twenty Five

Start from the beginning

Unfortunately it worked and she took a threatening step forward, ready to charge even if the argument was extremely petty and inappropriate at this particular time. “He’s not my boyfriend” she hissed.

But before he could respond, Scott pulled her back and muttered “It isn’t worth it, okay? Calm down.” Immediately responding to the Alpha’s voice, her eyes died back down to their normal green.

Everyone else seemed to have been ignoring their childish fight and was looking at each other sombrely. Brett had planted a doubt in their mind that they had never even considered. They had always solved these problems before and always found a way to save as many people as they could. What if they couldn’t this time?

Scarlett glanced at Derek who was changing from doubtful to determined. “Then let’s send a message. To anyone with a copy of that list.” Everyone turned to look at him as he walked back a few paces so they could all see him. “It doesn’t matter if they’re professional assassins, hunters or an amateur who just picked up a gun. Anyone who thinks they can hunt and kill us for money is going to be put on a list, our list! They get to be a name on out dead pool.”

Scarlett watches as Braedon chambers her shotgun with one swift up/down movement and the rest of the room is suddenly filled with optimism, hope, and fairy dust. Derek’s speech was moving and definitely lifted the moral of those in the room but Scarlett still wasn’t feeling too good.

##

The warehouse was dark now. The red blood-like tinge had tuned to that eerie green glow that reminded Scarlett of sewer tunnels. Satomi and Argent were in the corner talking and everyone else was just mingling nervously, waiting for the worst. Scarlett had separated herself from the others around ten minutes ago. She was leaning with her back against one of the pillars trying desperately to control herself. The feeling in her stomach was getting worse, her heart beat so loud she could hear it thumping in her ears. Her eyes were changing colour and she knew that she didn’t have long before she lost it again. She longed for the rush she would get as she took at life, the euphoria when she screamed so loud that their ears bled. She couldn’t find an anchor. Everything she tried made it worse; Scott and Stiles – her fear of losing them; Allison – her despair over her death; even Liam, who she was crazy about made her want to drown cities in the sound of her unearthly screech.

Her breathing was getting heavier, her skin turning a silvery shade, her clenched fists dripping blood from her claws. She watched more blood drop to the ground and couldn’t help but think about how much more satisfying it would be if she was looking at someone else’s blood on the floor.

“Scarlett?” she was still sane enough to know it was Scott who was talking to her. Her senses were turned up full blown as his footsteps echoed throughout the room as he neared her. Scarlett moaned and turned around, facing the pillar instead.

“Stay away Scott.” She warned, holding out her hand as a warning. “I can’t control it. I can’t find an anchor.”

Of course, Scott ignored her, coming closer and placing his hand on her shoulder. Scarlett turned with a growl, grabbed his shirt and threw him backwards. He flew through the air and hit the opposite pillar so hard that he left cracks in it. He slid to the floor, he wasn’t hurt but shocked at how strong she was.

“I said stay away.” She repeated. She turned back around so that she couldn’t see everyone’s frightened looks.

Chris came up to her next. “Scarlett? Scarlett, look at me!” he ordered. When she didn’t, he grabbed her shoulder and slammed her against the wall. The impact should have jarred her but she hardly felt it. Scarlett’s eyes were closing and opening rapidly as she fought for control. “Scarlett, you need to find your anchor.”