FIVE

When the celebration was nearly over, she retired to her family's hut. She was tired and she wanted to sleep, but it appeared she would not be getting any. She could hear the intimate sounds coming from her elder brother and his wife, whom he had married a few years prior.

It was normal to hear these types of things as everyone in the village had huge families that only became bigger when they merged them with other families. The longhouse Lya lived in was huge but it did not drown out the sounds.

So, Lya snuck out. She might have had too much to drink that night and all her mind could think about was Niklaus like he was her addiction but also her cure. She escaped the eyes of some people who were still celebrating and she made it to her spot where she always met him at.

Niklaus was not there so she took a seat at the base of the tree, her legs tucked underneath her, and leaned against it. She looked up at the stars that all seemed to be moving, the whole universe seemed to be moving yet she was perfectly still. It was much later when things weren't moving that she saw Niklaus come into her line of sight.

"Nik!" she giggled. "I was beginning to think you wouldn't show up."

"I contemplated it," he admitted but he could never get her out of his mind. He looked at the slap happy look on her face and frowned. "You have drunken too much ale."

"No," she denied, trying to frown.

"Yes," he said smiling in amusement as crouched down in front of her. He held out his hand to her. "I need to get you home before you fall asleep here."

"Okay," she caved in easily, smiling too widely, as she took his hand. A mischievous look was in her eyes but he had no idea what she was planning. She knew he would never have the courage to do it so she did. She leaned in towards him as she grabbed his hand, colliding her lips with his.

He froze but she placed a hand on his cheek and he found himself caving into her touch, moving his lips against hers. It was like her lips sent him to Hel because of the fire that now coursed through his veins.

Lya moved closer to him, wanting more of the giddy, nervous feeling she felt. She felt like every inch of her body was alight with feeling. Her heart had never felt more full, it felt like it might burst. Her skin felt like it was buzzing she was on such a high.

In her attempt to move closer and his attempt to pull her closer in his still crouched position, it ended with him collapsing onto his back and she fell right on top of him. Their lips were disconnected and she giggled at the mess that they currently were.

"Niklaus," she caressed his cheek softly as she looked down at him, a teasing smile on her face. "You can take me home now."

"Oh, so now that you've stolen what you wanted, you're going to leave me?" Niklaus shook his head in amusement.

She nodded as she hummed, "Do not fret. I will kiss you more tomorrow."

"Is that a promise?" Niklaus asked.

She nodded, "Aye. That's a promise."

__________

And Lya did kiss him more the next day and the day after that. For a whole year, they stole kisses from each other in their secret meeting place. They were young and in love. They felt like nothing could separate them but they were delusional to think that they could last.

Niklaus held her in his arms as she sat in his lap. She leaned back against him and her head was tucked under his chin. She felt so alive yet relaxed as he held her. It was daytime and she knew they'd have to pull apart and leave each other so as to not raise suspicion about them.

Today was one of the rare times they met during the day. She finished her chores early and she decided she wanted to spend time with him even if it was only for ten minutes.

"I wish we could stay like this," Lya stated.

"Perhaps, if we ever run away, we can," Niklaus said, voicing his idea. He'd do it for her and leave everything behind. But Lya was the one to think of the future and she knew they wouldn't get far nor would they get by alone.

"You know why we can't," Lya pulled away slightly to lift her head and look at him.

"I know why we should," he responded and Lya analyzed his face. She knew the other reason of why he wanted to leave. She caressed his cheek, her fingers circling the purple bruise. Her jaw ticked in anger every time she looked at it. He turned his head from her, her hand having to fall away from his face.

"You're so strong," Lya admitted, her voice tinged with admiration and sorrow, not being able to imagine herself going through what he went through.

Lya reached up slightly, her lips grazing the side of his jaw since he had his head turned. She whispered against his skin with a smile on her face, "I love you."

His turned his head back to her, a wide smile on his face as he looked at her, the center of his whole world. Every time he looked at her he thought she looked more beautiful or maybe that was just his love for her increasing every time he saw her.

She connected her lips with his now that he had turned his head back to her. Even though a year had passed, a kiss with him was still the same, making her feel featherlight and all sorts of nervous. She really did love him and in her mind, he was the greatest warrior, surviving what he goes through. She wanted him to really know that; that he was not weak like his father said.

She pulled away and it was moments like this, staring into his eyes, that made her believe he truly knew. He looked down at her, appreciating her for being one of the few people that believed in him; appreciating her for being the person that made him feel like courage was in his blood and like it had been there all along.

"You have my heart, Lya."

AN: I've decided to be nice and give you readers the happier version of the beginning, hence, this chapter. It's about to go downhill real quick though.