FOUR

Niklaus along with most of the other men of the village were surprised by the raid they went on. They had found remnants of Skraeling camps not too far from their village, but it was only remnants. It seemed the Skraelings had all abandoned their camps just recently. There was even smoke from a watered down fire still burning. It was very peculiar and strange, and it made everyone uneasy. They had no idea where the Skraelings had gone or what they were planning.

      _________

     Lya anxiously awaited the return of the raiding party. She was dipping clothes into the river to wash them with her mother and she kept looking off in the distance every few seconds like the party of men would appear suddenly.

     "Lya, they will all return," her mother calmed.

     "I know," Lya nodded her head like she was trying to convince herself.

     "And Niklaus will return as well," her mother said, making Lya bow her head down as her cheeks burned and her heart pounded more quickly just from the sound of his name.

     "He's a handsome boy," her mother stated.

     "He is," Lya said dreamily before she realized the trap put her into. "Mother! I...no. I didn't...."

      "He'd be a good match for you and he'd make you happy. And that's all I want for you, Lya," her mother advised. "But in this time, us girls do not get what we want. We get what is given to us. You understand?"

       Lya nodded her head sorrowfully. She knew she would be married off eventually to whoever gave her Father the best offer. The offer always came from the groom's family to the bride's family. And knowing how Mikael despised Niklaus, that man would never let Niklaus be with her.

     "Don't let your heart be hurt anymore than it will be, Lya."

      __________

     When her chores for the day were over, the raiding party had come home. They spoke of the strange situation with the Skraelings and they didn't know what to think of it. But the village shaman told them it was a good thing and that they should celebrate. They were to have a party that night.

     After seeing her family safely returned, she slipped away and made her way to the spot where she and Niklaus always met. It was actually the spot where she had fallen from that tree all those years ago. She had to see him before tonight and if she knew him as well as she thought she did, he had to see her, too.

      She stood with her back against the tree and watched the clouds roll through the sky. All time had slipped away from her until she was interrupted by a twig snapping. She looked to see who it was and she saw Niklaus.

      A wide toothed smile came to her face, "Nik."

      "Your family said you had disappeared," Niklaus said as he stopped in front of her.

     She didn't respond as she reached over and gave him a hug. She held onto him tightly, resting her head sideways against his shoulder. His very presence emitted safety and comfort while also making her heart full and featherlight, love.

     "I was so worried about you," Lya said as she started to pull away but Nik held her tighter. It made her smile and so she stayed wrapped in his embrace a while longer.

      "I'll always make my way back to you," Niklaus responded.

      "You promise?" she asked.

     Niklaus pulled away from her to look her in the eyes, trying to convey how much he meant his words, as he tucked a stray hair behind her ear. His fingers caressed her skin as they trailed beneath her ear to her cheek. It was all these actions that caused her breath to be stolen away as he answered.