25 ❀ White rabbit

Start from the beginning

     I finally just lay there, letting my mind drift to terrible places.

     Ezra's words suddenly echo in my head without permission

     "This was a mistake"

     I squeeze my eyes closed tight, biting my lip so hard it might fall off. Those awful words make me remember when I was just a little pup, when my condition was first discovered. The fateful day when things began to take an awful turn for the worst. The same word used to drag me down.

     Mistake.

     Mom made it clear to my Father that I was not wanted, of course I happened to overhear their conversation, and it was devastating to me.

     My eyes burn as they fill with tears and fall down the sides of my face. I have never thought that my life would turn out like this. I was always excited at the thought of a mate coming along and loving me, taking care of me. As a kid it was an idea that got me through a lot of hard times. It made me feel better to know one day I wouldn't have to deal with the rejection anymore.

     I should have known better.

     No one wants me.

     Eventually I get out of bed, drying my tears and sniffling. I hate crying. Despise it. I never cry in front of anyone, it's a strict rule I try to follow. I rarely cry alone as it is.

     I wipe at the running mascara with my fingertips, staring angrily at the black streaks staining my skin.

     I hate crying!

     So I stop, pull myself together, and get dressed.

     It's going to be a great night, and I'm not going to let some stupid bozo get in the way of that.

❀ ✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿ ❀

    As soon as I'm outside, I rush into the trees like my life depends on it. My black, permanently smudged converses crunch the frozen autumn leaves under me.

     My breath puffs in the air like smoke from a cigarette, floating in the air as lumpy clouds of gray.

     I don't mind the chill in the air, especially because I'll be wearing a thick fur coat soon enough.

     Sliding behind a group of trees, I drop my pants and slip my shoes off in a hurry. Tugging my shirt over my head, I look around carefully before removing my underwear too. I hope no one sees me.

     I smile huge as I start to transform into my other form. My better form. My limbs grow strong and slender, my hands and feet molding into paws.

     Joints snap, shoulders pop, and muscles swell.

     Once my paws hit the chilly ground, a shiver of pure pleasure rumbles through me.

     I take a moment to prance around like a puppy. Leaping around in the leaves, I frolic happily in the fading light, overjoyed to be let loose like I am meant to be.

     No shifter wants to be locked up in their human body. Shifting into your animal side is second nature, it is our nature. It comes to us like breathing, we can't live without it.

     My nose twitches in appreciation of all the smells around me. I lower my head to the ground, taking in a deep sniff of a scent, and so the chase begins when I latch onto something that piques my interest.

     I keep my hackles raised and my torso low to the ground as I follow the trail of the delicious smell through the winding woods and trees.

     My tongue flops out of my mouth to hang out the side, I pant softly as I concentrate on my important mission of finding the culprit.