Chapter 6: Ctrl-Z

Chapter 6: Ctrl-Z:

8-8-14: Scarlett, with her penguinboat-filled reserves, transformed Rose back into a human for her burial. Scarlett was attempting to contact Rose’s friends and family for a funeral when Rose woke up.

“You’re alive!” I said.

“Yes,” Rose said. “Just because I passed out for a day doesn’t mean I died.”

“But you had no pulse.” I said.

“I’m thick-skinned,” she said.

“So what adventure are we having now?” I asked.

“Nothing,” Rose said. “I’m going back home.

She teleported away and presumably went about her daily life.

8-11-14: Lynn’s death hit me pretty hard at the time, but I got over it quickly. Adam has yet to do so. He’s currently in the bargaining stage. “What if,” he asked me one day, “we could time travel and bring her back?” That’s patently ridiculous. Backwards time travel is patently impossible without FTL travel. But that would require a spaceship.

8-12-14: Things are still bad with my brother. He’s gone insane. He’s started sketching out a theory of backwards time travel that doesn’t require a spaceship.

8-14-14: He’s moved on to depression.

8-15-14: Today I bumped into Rose on the street.

“Hey, August,” Rose said.

“Where’ve you been?” I asked.

“I’ve been traveling through space and time,” said Rose.

“You can travel through time?” I asked.

“Yeah,” said Rose. “I told you that.”

“No you didn’t,” said August. “You told me you could teleport. You’re a liar.”

“I withheld things,” said Rose.

“Can you bring Lynn back?” I asked. “Her death hit all of us really hard.”

“She was the one who got captured, right?”

“Yes,” I said.

Rose brought Lynn back from back when she went to Britain.

“Why did you teleport me here?” Lynn asked.

“If I had not,” Rose said, “you would have died in 12 hours. You will have been vaporized by a penguin with superpowers.”

“Wanna go to my place?” I asked. “Adam’s been mourning you for three days.”

“Sure,” Lynn said. “So I’m supposed to be dead.”

“You were saved,” Rose said. “Although everyone still has memories of your death, those memories are false.”

“Thanks for allowing me to live - wait, what’s your name?” Lynn said.

“Rose.”

“Thanks, Rose,” Lynn said.

Lynn then walked to our house, as Rose stayed.

“So,” said Rose. “You”

“I what?” I asked.

“You wanna go get lunch?” Rose asked.

I looked at Rose. I considered her offer. Then I looked inwards. Rose was reticent, shy, and usually mad at me for breaking her wrists or something.

“No thanks,” I said. “You’re great, I’m just busy. Tomorrow okay?”

“Yes,” Rose said.