A Little Bit More Than Like

Konoha
Non-Massacre
After Graduation

•••

I remember the first time I saw her. With her stunning pink hair and captivating green eyes. But it wasn't her bright hair or her beautiful emerald eyes that caught my eye. It was the way she looked at the world. She looked at the world as if it was something so beautiful and magnificent. But her eyes held a look only one would have if they have seen death.

She was the most captivating thing I had ever seen because even though she had seen death, she still thought the world was a beautiful place. It was the most unique thing I had ever seen and I was captivated from that day on.

From there, my curiosity grew. Every day I would hope I would run into her again. I wanted to learn her. I wanted to know what made her tick. I wanted to know her through process. I wanted to know her.

Nothing before had caught my interest. So, I was surprised when she did. A simple academy girl.

I guess Kakashi-senpai and Shisui knew that something was bothering me. They where concerned for me.

They asked but I simply brushed them off. I needed to find out why I was so captivated by her. Why her? What was it about her?

***

They next time I saw her, she was with the Yamamaka heir, Ino. They where at the Yamanaka Flower Shop.

I was on ANBU patrol that day. I remember sitting on the rough of a building across from the shop.

I remember the two bouquets she got that day. They had Larkspur meaning beautiful spirit, Carnation pink meaning gratitude, and Carnation white meaning remembrance.

I don't know if I was shocked by this or not. She has seen death, so I guess this was expected. The bouquets where for the dead.

She payed for the bouquets, said a quick good bye to Ino and left the shop. I remember following her all the way to the graveyard. She stopped by two placks, set down the flowers while saying a quick prayer and started talking.

What she said next broke my heart. I remember it clear as day and in that moment I wanted to jump down from the tree I was in, give her a hug and whisper sweet nothing to her.

"Mother, Father, sorry for not visiting you as much. I've been a bit busy lately. I've been training extra hard, just for the two of you. I've perfected the academy graduation Justus and stances. Of course, I can always improve more but I think they are good enough to pass. The graduation exam is in less than a month, I'm a bit nerves for it but I really do think I'm ready. I know the life as a ninja isn't gonna be easy but I don't know what I would do with myself it I wasn't a ninja." I remember there was a long silent pause and than I heard the faint sound of strangled cries, "I'm sorry, I know I'm not supposed to cry but it's so hard. I miss you two so much and every time I go home, I remember you're not there to welcome me home. It hurts so much." Another long pause, her cries had quieted down, "I appreciate every moment of my life and I don't take any thing for granite, you two taught me that. I also put my shoes away just like you wanted," a small weak chuckle came from her and in that moment my heart broke, "I also washed my dishes, mom, I know that it always drove you insane when I would leave them next to the sink. I love you two, but I got to go home now, it's getting late."

After that, she walked away. I remember sitting in that tree, not knowing what to think. It isn't that uncommon for people to die young here but it hurt to know that she was so young and her parents where already dead.

I quickly snapped out of my trance, I followed her home that night, just to make sure she got home safely. It was getting dark and I didn't want anything to happen to her.

***

I saw her another time after that. It was after the graduation exam and I was with Tou-san and Kaa-san, congratulating Sasuke-kun on graduating. We where in front of the academy, along with a bunch of other new graduates being congratulated by there parents.

That's when I saw her, she was a distance away, looking into the crowed with longing in her eyes. I wanted to go over there, poke her forehead and congratulate her on graduating but I knew that it would be wrong to do so. She didn't even know I existed and for some reason that hurt.

***

The next time I saw her, I was completely caught by surprise. This came as even more of a shock because I was never caught by surprise. Ever.

Everything in my life before was calculated in my mind before it even happened. But something about her was so different. She always caught me off guard with where she would show up and the things she would do.

That's why I was so surprised when Sasuke-kun came home, a few months after the graduation exam, with his sensei Kakashi and his team mates Naruto-kun and the one and only girl that I could never seem to get off my mind.

He walked in that day, I felt the four chakras enter the compound but I had just come back from a mission so I was tired and couldn't tell who's chakras where who's.

I had just got out from the shower and only had black sweat pants on and was drying my hair with a towel as I walked across the house to find a shirt. I wasn't expecting the four chakras to enter my house, so I wasn't at all presentable.

That's when Kakashi-senpai walked in, he turned from the hall way into the living room where I was standing.

"Ah, Kakashi-senpai, it's nice to see you again."

Sasuke walked in, rolled his eyes and said, "I'm not even gonna ask how you to know each other."

Both Kakashi and I chuckled.

Two heads popped around the corner and that was when the surprise hit me. I quickly tried to cover it up and smiled at Sasuke, "Sasuke-kun, who are these two?"

A bored look crossed his face, "Oh, these are my two team mates, Naruto-dope and Sakura-chan."

"Ah, it's nice to meet you two."

"Sasuke-teme! This is your brother!? He's so much better looking than you!"

That's when I remembered that I didn't have a shirt on, "Oh, I apologize for this. I wasn't expecting any company today."

"Haha! Teme! He's even more polite that you!"

"Dope! Shut up!"

I didn't pay much attention to the two, I couldn't stop focusing on Sakura. The name fit her so well. It made me smile.

She seemed a bit flustered when she caught my eyes on her and quickly bowed and said, "It's nice to meet you Itachi-san." She also elbowed Naruto in the side and forced him to bow in respect.

In that moment, I knew. I knew why she was so captivating, I knew why I wanted to know everything about her, I knew why I couldn't get her off my mind and I knew why I got excited anytime I saw her. I knew why. I liked her. I really really liked her. In one moment I was disgusted with myself that I fancied someone so much younger than me but the next, I didn't care.

"It's also very nice to meet you, Sakura-san," I couldn't help but have a smile grace my lips, "Now, if you would please excuse me, I need to find a shirt."

I bowed to the group than silently walked out of the room, off to my bedroom and pulled on a shirt. I sat down at my desk and started organizing it. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face and the warm feeling in my chest.

I fancied Sakura-san.