[Avengers x Reader] The Bet (Part 2)

You sat on the counter in Tony's lab after explaining to him exactly what you wanted.

     He smiled as he continued to tinker with other mechanical things. "You know, I've often thought about you asking me to make you a baby but I never thought it would be in this context."

     You rolled your eyes but smiled anyway. "It's not for me. It's for Steve and Bucky."

     "Capsicle having performance issues?"

     "Can you do it?" you asked ignoring his comment about Steve's man functions.

     "Are you questioning my intelligence?" he asked over his shoulder.

     "So you will?"

     You jumped off the counter and walked next to him. If Tony refused to build this baby then the only other option you could think of would be to go to Loki and persuade him to create an illusion for the boys to babysit and that seemed like more trouble than it was worth.

     "Is Dean in love with Cas?" he asked scoffing. "Come check with me in like 2 hours."

     "Yay! Thank you so much!" you gave him a quick hug and were nearly out the door before you turned around and asked, "Did you just make a Supernatural reference?"

     He looked up sharply like he was hoping that you'd missed that. "I had a weekend off...damn I just did it again!"

     "Don't worry," you assured him, "this will be our little secret."

     You started to walk out again when Tony called out to you. "Oh and (y/n)? Boy or girl?"

     "Surprise us!" you smiled.

»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»»«»«»«»«»«»««»«»«»»«»«»«»«»«»»«

     "Good news," you announced walking into the living room with a bright smile on your face. "We've got a baby on the way!"

     Steve's eyes lit up like he'd been waiting to hear those words for his entire life. Truth be told you'd always thought that Steve would be a great father. He was always very kind-hearted and responsible. Not to mention that he was obviously a great role model. Bucky had the potential to be a great father to. He was a little more reckless than Steve but nonetheless he was also a great man.       

     "Do you have the supplies?" you ask sitting next to him on the couch.

     "Supplies?" asked Bucky walking into the living room eating a sandwich. "What kind of supplies?"

     "Baby supplies...?" you answered as he sat down on the other side of you.

     "No, we need to go shopping...what all do you think we'll need?" asked Steve.

     You started naming off the essentials and they grew more wide-eyed with every item.

     "That is a lot of stuff for such a tiny person..." commented Bucky.

     "Yea, so we should go as soon as you get done with that," said Steve gesturing to Bucky' s sandwich.

     Bucky ate quickly and the two of them left to go baby shopping.

«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«««»«»«»«««««««»»«»«»«««»«»«»«»«»«»«           

     At the store, Bucky grabbed a hand basket to put the groceries in and followed Steve to the baby section.

     Steve grabbed bottles and pacifiers and formula and anything else that he could remember (y/n) mentioning.

     Not a moment before the basket was overflowing with baby stuff, they went to the register where a young woman proceeded to check them out.

     They watched the prices add up and by the time the clerk had finished ringing up everything the price was nearly two hundred dollars.

     The two men stared in shock at the numbers on the screen. Finally, Steve reached into his wallet and gave the lady two, hundred dollar bills.

     "Not what you were expecting?" she asked sympathetically as she counted out Steve's change.

     "No exactly..." he said rubbing his jaw. "We're kind of new at this."

     She nodded and handed him the change. "Congratulations! And good luck!"

     "Thanks," he said smiling. He and Bucky grabbed the bags and left the store.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

      They arrived back at the tower to find the rest of the Avengers hanging out in the living room. Natasha was sitting next to you looking at the bundle in your arms.

     Steve froze when he walked into the room, his eyes locked on your arms.

     "Brother Steven!" boomed Thor. "Man of Iron has finished your baby!"

     Steve set down his groceries and walked over to you, never taking his eyes off the baby. You stood up to meet him and he held out his arms. Loki had charmed the baby to look like the love child of Bucky and Steve and explained that it would last for three days.

     As he took the child in his arms, a huge grin broke out across his face.

     It warmed your heart to see Steve so happy. Bucky looked over his shoulder and smiled though it was more reserved than Steve.

     "Congratulations, it's a girl," you smiled.

     "What's her name?" asked Clint putting his arm around Natasha.

     Steve and Bucky looked at each other for a moment before replying, "Peggy."