8 | Ben Hargreeves

Imagine falling in love with Ben.

PART 1

Note: this is different from the original story. 

At a young age you were always very energetic, always curious and a not so boundary-respecting child. You were always wondering around your low-lit neighborhood with a flashlight in hand always ready to explore and have fun.

As you hit your teens you were still the explorer but more tamed and privacy respecting. One day, you wander off your usual neighborhood and quickly you notice a group of shady guys being chased by a bundle of kids. Was it a robbery? And why were there kids running after these dudes? Are those masks? Are they superheroes?

Suddenly, a buff guy of the shady bunch took notice of you and swiftly grabbed you by your hand and took you has hostage. At first, the shock totally shut you up and you couldn't move, you were just hanging and your feet were dangling. "You know that's not gonna save you." said one of the kids. He threw knives right at you, though very close, they didn't hit you. The man holding you released a painful groan and his arm went limp. As soon as your feet touch the ground, you make a run for it.

Just as another man was going to yank your hair, tentacles spiraled out of nowhere and slapped the kidnapper's hand. Your eyes widen with surprise almost tripping and face planting on the floor, but your feet kept moving. You finally have a better vision of the superhero kids, well teenagers, most of them pretty normal looking; One throwing knives, another disappearing and appearing out of nowhere, a girl talking about rumors? But there was one that made your soul quiver,  a boy with tentacles sprouting out of his stomach. Is that even real?

"Over here!" shouted one of the boys, he looked right at you and beckoned with both his hands. Your feet stop moving when you reach him, your face red from the adrenaline. "What ar-"

"Saving the day."

You turn over to the bad guys and to your "surprise" they were all unconscious on the ground. Soon, sirens can be heard and a crowd gathers at the small alley way. Flashes go on and off, citizens cheer and the teenagers gladly line up and smile for the pictures.

Of course. It was the Umbrella Academy.

"You've got to be kidding me." you scream at your parents, your face growing red from all the bickering. They needed a scope for the next newspaper and you were their ticket for it. You slam the door to your room, the fragile walls shaking from the small earthquake you created.

"Honey, you were saved by the Umbrella Academy! Meaning you owe them, suggest a dinner, more specifically Number Six. Snap a picture of his tentacles or whatever and you're done! Everyone is dying to know what it truly is." your dad squeals from the living room. "You get a whole month supply of chocolate cake if you do it."

You roll your eyes. "Poor boy barely has enough privacy, I don't want to disrupt that. Moreover, shouldn't you be more worried? I got kidnapped like thirty minutes ago and got traumatized." you open the door, "This is bad parenting!"

"Bad parenting which brings you chocolate cake!" your mom laughs.

"You guys suck."

-

"I suck" you whisper to yourself as you knock on the door of the Umbrella Academy. The house was huge, it reminded you of the dark mansions in scary movies. You could hear a voice from the other side, "I'm sorry but no more interview-"

A boy about your height, maybe slightly taller, stopped midway opening the door and looked straight into your eyes. They seemed to pull you in. "Hm, we're closed?"

"You have opening hours?" you question with a chuckle. He looks back at you at a loss for words.

"Oh, sorry. I'm Y/N, you saved me earlier and I'd like to offer you some dinner. I have a reservation actually- " the boy cuts you off. He holds an apologetic smile. "It's okay, no need to thank us. Just doing our job." he makes the door gap a bit bigger.

"I'm sorry but we'd have to decline the offer. We can't accept anything from the public. Just a thanks is enough." he smiles again, this time a little brighter. He seemed like he's going through a tough time.

Well, I tried.

"That's alright, thank you hm..." you stop, waiting for his name or...number.

"Oh! Number Six." he replies, his thumb grazing his other hand while he looked at the floor, almost has if he's ashamed.

Tentacle boy?

"Well, thank you nu-"

"NUMBER SIX!"

A long shout drowns out your voice and echoes through the house, it was loud enough to shake the windows of the academy. The boy's face grew cold and pale, he was scared. His shaky eyes turned to you. "Dinner you said?"

You and Number Six walk on the grey pavements, each one of his steps seemed heavier than the last. "Are you alright, Number Six?"

The boy winced at the name like it was a bad memory. He stayed silent but soon enough he let out a sigh. "It's just a bit rough at the moment."

He looked up at the sky and held out his arm. "I just wish it could be different, you know?" Number Six seemed to envy what was above him: the clouds, the birds. He just wanted to be free of pain. 

You gave him a small smile. You knew that you weren't going to let this boy suffer anymore. "Whatever it is, I'll help you."

He looks at you surprised, "What, oh no I don't nee-"

"Nah uh, I'm not going to leave it at that. Plus, we still have dinner." you say determined to help him. You push through the doors in front of you and softly take his hand, scared he'd run off somewhere. Not taking chances.

"A table for two, please." you tell the lady at the counter, she looks at you and nods.

"I though you had reservations." he questioned, cocking his head to the side. What the flippity flip, he's so cute.

"You're definitely a good listener, though I made that up."

-

"You did what now?" he asked with a smile, his hand on the drink at the table. He played with his straw and whisked his drink with it.

"I swear to god, it was an accident. I didn't actually mean to punch him. He just happened to be in front of me when I swung my hand." you laughed and took a bite of your burger. You were currently telling Number Six about your little incident at school. You may or may not have punched a teacher but it was NOT your fault. It was the mosquito's.

"Did you get detention or did the mosquito?" he asked playfully and you let out a loud snort. 

"I just ran after that, so I never got caught." you say, slurping on your drink and eating a fry. Damn, were you hungry.

"Wow, I might be questioning your sanity at the moment."

"As crazy as I am, I don't think you'll be getting rid of me soon."

You and Number Six have been bonding for the last hour and it was honestly the best time of your life. You didn't want it to end. It was quiet for a while, your sly grin dropped. "Hey Number Si-"

"You can just call me Ben." he said with a genuine smile and sat back into his seat. "And I don't think I mind your company."

And that was the start of your great friendship.

NOTE: Hey, thank you so much for reading and supporting me. I honestly think that my writing sucks a lot and I need to improve, I'm always open for constructive criticism! Thank you for putting up with me and my bad writing haha