19 • WINTER CLASSIC PT2

Start from the beginning

Parker was soon joined by her parents after her interview, who both hugged her. They were never the type to be on her about things or make her feel like a loss was her fault. Plenty of these guys that had pushy parents growing up she was glad that wasn't her case. Heck, her parents rarely came to games.

But Parker's mind was somewhere else entirely, as it had been for most of the day. She knew it wasn't okay to let her feelings take control of her, but Patrick was on her mind since last night. Seeing him made her blush, because she didn't know if his sisters told him how she felt. Not knowing what was going on in his head was scary for her. Looking at him, there was no sense of what was to come.

"You okay honey?" Her mother caught where her daughter's eyes were instantaneously.

"Uh yeah."

"Something happen?"

"Well," Parker pulled her mom down besides her so she could whisper in her ear, "his sisters told me he has feelings for me and-"

"Oh boy." Mrs. Sullivan chuckled, "good luck dear, I'll let you figure this one out."

"Mom! Not fair.."

"You're growing up, you gotta be the one to handle your relationships."

"But aren't you supposed to give me advice?"

"When you mess up, yes." Laura side hugged her daughter, "don't even try to ask your father, you know how he is." the two women looked to Mr. Sullivan to see him talking up a storm with a couple of the other dads, who were laughing at whatever he said.

"Y'all suck. But I do need some advice though." Parker thought back to earlier. Patrick had tried to talk to her, wish her luck, the normal.. but she booked it away before he even had a chance. She vividly remembered the confused but hurt look on his face.

"And that is?"

"I've avoided Pat all day, is that bad to do?"

"I wouldn't suggest doing that. Boys may be dense but they'll pick up on something like that eventually. Him maybe sooner because he's older.. little more receptive."

"I suppose." she frowned, "Does dad pick up on stuff?"

"I think you know the answer to that." the two burst out laughing at the denseness of the man of the family. Making fun of him always helped to lighten the mood, "I should probably go drag him away, be right back."

Patrick had just finished up his interview and he was exhausted. He leaned back so he was against his locker and quickly scanned the room trying to see how everyone was. His gaze landed on Parker and watched as she whispered into her mom's ear. He quickly wondered what it was about as he noticed a slight look her mother gave him. It was hardly noticeable but he saw, and it made his stomach lurch. They were talking about him he was sure. He hated how nervous and filled of self doubt he was getting because of Parker. And it was always worse when her parents were around, even though they definitely hit it off last night.

"Proud of you big bro." Erica sat next to him and gave him a hug. His other sisters were there as well, which was never a surprise. Little did Pat know that he was about to find out that they'd been playing matchmaker.

"Thanks guys. Didn't go as planned though."

"We know. It'll click soon, we're sure."

"Yeah.." Patrick ran his hands through his hands with exasperation, "I think Parker's mad at me. For whatever reason." He was frustrated, and even more so as it dawned on him that Parker was trying to avoid him. His mind raced through everything he could have done or said to upset her, especially after earlier. But, he wanted to think of it as her just being worked up over the game.

"No, there'd be no way." Jacqueline said.

"Mm I hope not." he looked her way again. She seemed to be having a good time chatting with her parents and a couple of the other adults.

"Also Pat, got something to tell you." Jackie was smiling. She knew this would cheer him up, even after the loss.

"Hmm?"

His sister leaned in so no one would be able to hear, "Parker likes you too, better ask her out you idiot."

A smile immediately formed on his lips as he looked at his sisters who all seemed pretty happy, "well shit." that explained a lot. He felt a warmth fall over him, "did you guys tell her that-"

"You like her too? Yep."

"Oh boy."

"What?"

"She was definitely trying to avoid me earlier and it's gotta be because of that. Shit."

"We were only trying to help?"

"No, no it's okay. I'll just have to talk to her like really soon." Patrick felt a crushing feeling come down on his chest. He felt anxious looking over at Parker as she flipped her hair laughing at Dylan. Pat was so ready to make her his, but he needed to figure out how to now.

"You got this Pat. You've had feelings for her for awhile. You deserve someone who cares about you too." Jessica said quietly, "we're rooting for you!"

"You three are so weird but.. I guess thank you."

Patrick was in panic mode and he couldn't let anyone see that. Right now, this was bad. He wanted to have control on when he asked Parker out, when he felt the timing was right. They were extremely close but the fine line there was could be snapped instantly by one wrong move. He could tell Parker was a lot more vulnerable with her feelings than she let on, he wanted to be as careful as he could. His sisters had pushed him into a corner by telling her about his feelings and he could only hope it was going to work out.

He had to make sure it worked out, he would do anything to make it happen. Because a life without her presence seemed terrifying.

•••

            It was hard, losing at the Winter Classic and it was finally hitting her. Parker felt horrible and most of the other guys felt bad too. She couldn't help but think she must have been too distracted, her feelings about Patrick were starting to affect her performance, and that couldn't happen. She needed to be at the top of her game or else she wouldn't be here much longer, even with Crow out. The Hawks has been this mini dynasty that was now struggling and she was being thrown into the midst of it. The situation was hard enough without her boy issues.

Parker laid in her hotel bed absolutely frustrated and scared. As much as she may adore Patrick, there were many questions swirling in her head. She couldn't believe she let herself get distracted by this business with him and lose sight of the game. It was getting harder for her not to blame herself. If them being in a relationship could cause her, or both of them to be side tracked, then it wouldn't work.

Tears stung Parker's eyes. She felt as if she was making a mistake no matter how her heart felt. Should she try to distance herself from him? She hated the thought of losing his friendship, but she couldn't settle on being just friends, she wanted more.

She decided, with a heavy heart, that her best option now was to try to avoid him. She was terrified of losing him but also terrified of her feelings. Even if this wasn't the way to do it, she needed to protect herself from any pain and confusion.