O•N•E

P•A•R

P•A•R

There I was, a smile stretching across my face as I took my diploma from the principal of my dream art high school. I look into the audience to find both of my parents smiling back at me, they're even tears in my mother's eyes. Next to them, sit my older brother, Elijah along with my best friends. A proud look over my brother's face. My friends all cheering my name.

Unfortunately, I'm snapped out of my dreamy sleep by the loud ringing on my cell phone. I rub my eyes and take in the fresh smell of the lake infront of me. Looking around for my phone, I see one of my books open to a random page on the rock next to me along with my backpack. I must've fallen asleep here last night.

Reaching into my bag I pull out my phone that's still ringing. I answer it, not bothering to check the caller id. "Hello" I answered groggily.

"WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU" I pull the phone away quickly wincing as the voice of my older brother roared through the phone.

"Calm down I'm fine," I answer, trying to calm him down.

"How the hell am I supposed to be calm when my baby sister doesn't come home all night long?!" He growls, "So are you gonna answer me or do I need to make you answer me?"

"Um, neither," I start packing up my things, "I'm fine that's all that matters. Don't worry about me, I'll be home in a few."

"Don't you dare hang up on m-"

"Bye!" I cut him off and hang up the phone. I unlock my bike that was locked up on the bike rack in the parking lot. Swinging my backpack onto my shoulders, I ride back home as fast as I can.

I arrive home and I throw my bike onto the side to the yard then take the stairs two at a time up to my porch, I unlock the door as quietly as possible and sneak in. No way am I being interrogated by Elijah this early in the morning. I was almost up to my room when a yelp escapes me as I'm pulled back by my arm taking me down onto the floor. I look up and see Elijah with his classic white shirt and black jeans along with his leather jacket, a scowl is on his face and his arms are crossed over his chest. He's staring down at me, challenging me to try and escape. I don't even try.

"Nice of you to finally come home. Now, are you going to willingly tell me where you were or do I have to force it out of you?" He cocks an eyebrow.

"All you need to know Eli," I call him by his nickname and stand up, " is that I was safe and that I wasn't at a guy's house or with a guy. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go get ready for school." I push out of his way and go into my bedroom, closing and locking the door. Sometimes he worries too much.

I grab my clothes for the day and head into my bathroom to shower. I think back to my dream and how I wish it could come true. Unlucky for me though, it never will as my mother is dead and I never see my father as he is always traveling for work so that we can keep a roof over our heads. I did get into that art high school, but at the time we definitely did not have enough money to even feed all three of us all week long.