Chapter One

"Is that all you got?!" Roman declared, holding his sword in his right hand firmly. "You've got to be joking, Nicolaus." He lowered his sword, wiping his forehead with the back of his palm.

Surrounded by five exhausted royal soldiers, all of whom were defeated by Roman, Nicolaus stood across from him, holding his sheathed sword balanced to the floor with his hands stacked on top of each other.

Without so much as a word, Nicolaus readied his sword and at his movement, Roman prepared for him. Within seconds, Nicolaus was at Roman's left side, swords clashing as Roman fell to the right, holding his sword firmly and falling to his left knee for better balance. He kicked off with his right foot to spin and face Nicolaus who was now behind him. Nicolaus was already making his next move to slash right across Roman's torso, which the prince was able to block with ease. Nicolaus adjusted his body, leaning slightly to the right, taking off again in a circle around Roman.

Damn it. He's too fast. Roman gritted his teeth as he tried to spin around quickly and adjust his arms at the same time.

However, Nicolaus was two steps ahead, disarming Roman was the hilt of his sword.

It flew into the air and landed with a thud just a few feet away, sliding to a stop as Nicolaus put his sword right at Roman's neck, just a hair's breath away.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk. I thought I taught you better, Prince Roman." Nicolaus taunted. He pulled his sword back and sheathed it quickly. "You'll be doubling your training this next month as long as I get approval from your father."

Roman scoffed, picking up his own sword and turning around to point it at Nicolaus. "Fine. But hear this, Nicolaus... I will defeat you next time!"

Nicolaus adjusted his jacket, his back to Roman. "We shall see."

-