Sophie freed him of the copper-haired baby. "There, there, Felicity."

She rocked her gently. Fat tears rolled down the child's red cheeks and Sophie mopped them away with her handkerchief. "Goodness me, you poor thing. George, I thought you were at boarding school?"

George cleared his throat and examined his fingernails. "Oh, that."

"Young Master Penderry was expelled from boarding school last week for an extremely naughty prank," the woman enlightened them.

Their snowy-haired grandmother gasped and shook her head in disappointment. "George, really. Whatever will your brother say?"

When not at boarding school, George lived with his brother - an arrangement made several months ago when Jim had turned twenty one and taken control of his inheritance. While her brothers resided in their late parent's property, Sophie had remained with their grandmother. Jim was the closest thing to a father figure that George had.

"And who might you be?" Primrose asked the woman.

"My name is Miss Harris. I'm the baby's nanny. That is to say, her former nanny."

"What do you mean former?"

"Mr Penderry has failed to return," Miss Harris answered sharply. "Which is why I have no choice but to quit my position. My salary has not even been paid."

"Your salary, oh heavens." Sophie turned to Primrose. "Can't we sort this out?"

She nodded without hesitation. "Of course we can. Dear little Felicity must have a nanny. How much are you owed?"

Miss Harris looked grave. "I'm afraid it's not that simple. The household staff have not been paid either and the money Mr Penderry left for bills has been spent. Two of the staff left earlier this week and the other leaves today to find work elsewhere. There is no food, no coal, no cook, and no maid to clean the rooms or wash the clothes. In short, I alone can't meet the children's needs so I've brought them here to you."

Sophie looked at her grandmother, equally shocked by the turn of events.

"The boy has the keys to the property and their belongings are downstairs by the entrance," Miss Harris told them.

George confirmed his possession of the keys by proudly swinging the bunch on his finger.

Primrose protested. "You're not leaving, are you? What of the baby's needs? James didn't rescue her from that wretched orphanage just to see her passed around like a parcel."

"And what of George and his studies?" added Sophie.

Miss Harris heaved an impatient sigh. "I refuse to work for an unreliable employer. I suggest you make enquiries with the local schools. They don't look favourably on troublemakers, I must say, but if you're lucky, one of them may take him. As for the baby, she's content enough now. This young woman looks capable enough."

Sophie looked up when she realised the nanny was talking about her. "Me? Oh no, I don't have any experience with babies."

"You'll manage."

"But-" Sophie began to object, but the other woman cut her off.

"If Mr Penderry should return any time soon, please remind him to forward my salary. He has the address of the agency. Good day to you."

With that, Miss Harris left the house just as swiftly as she had breached it, leaving the poor children alone with the two astonished women.

Primrose sighed. "Well, this is unfortunate timing. I'm expected at Crowthorne Towers this weekend for a party. Lord Crowthorne has a ghost hunt planned."