Chapter 41

Time: 13: 45

Location: Avenger's Tower, New York. New York.

Maddie palmed her gun and fired. Sam's gun went flying and he grunted in pain as his gun was shot from his hands. It clattered to the floor, then came to a stop at the wall. In the silence, Maddie whirled and managed to get off three more shots before she was forced to duck into the kitchen for cover.

Bullets pinged off the walls and ricocheted in the kitchen. Maddie kept low as she peeked around the door frame. She managed to snap off a quick shot before she rolled backwards to avoid the hail of bullets. She got to her feet as she heard a body fall to the ground. 

Maddie had to get out of here before before the other HYDRA agent's decided to come in after her. It wouldn't take them very long to realize they had the advantage in numbers. She glanced towards the window. It was right in line with the doorway. To try jump out of it would be suicide. She'd be hit by the bullets before she made it to the window. 

Ok, so leaving to attack from a different area was out of the question. What did she have to work with? She heard footsteps coming towards the kitchen. It was Sam, he was the one who spoke. 

"Maddie, if you don't come out of there, i'm going to start killing the Avengers." His voice was cold and merciless. Maddie knew he was going to do exactly what he said. Her blood ran cold as she thought of Sam killing them off, one by one. Where was Nick Furry? Had he escaped, or had he just been caught again?

Maddie slipped a hand in her pocket, pulling free one of her smoke booms. No use! Sam would just kill the Avenger's anyways. She put it back and took out one of her flash grenades. She crawled towards the door, then hurriedly lobbed it into the other room. 

The assassin rolled backwards, curling into a ball, eye's buried in her arms, fingers in her ears. It wouldn't do a lot for the side effects, but it might give her enough of an edge over everyone else. The loud bang shook her, and her ears rang as she burst into the other room. The light hadn't affected her though, so that was a plus. 

Sam had gotten the brunt of it, from the looks of it. He was curled up on the floor. The other HYDRA agent's where stumbling around. Maddie shot them at point blank range. Blood sprayed and the remaining Agent's fell, dead. Nick Furry was on the floor, trying to make sense of everything. 

Maddie threw herself to the side just in time to avoid being killed by a throwing knife. She rolled to her feet to see Sam reaching for another knife. He had gotten over the shock of the flash faster then Maddie had expected him to. She drew her knife, kicking away one of the bodies. 

"Why?" She asked, keeping all emotion's from her voice. She forced everything away. Her love for Sam. Her pain at his betrayal, everything. Now was not the time to dwell on such weaknesses, now, it was time to fight. Violence was something Maddie understood, it was something she craved right now. Sam never answered, he just drew his knives and got into his fighting stance. There was a cruel gleam in his eyes and Maddie knew that whatever she had thought had existed between them, meant nothing to the person standing in front of her. Sam wanted to kill her and the only way she was going to get out of this alive, was to kill him.