Chapter 18

Time: 8:00

Location: Avenger's Tower, New York. New York

Maddie sat at the table, eating a breakfast of eggs, bacon, and pancakes. Steve was at the stove, flipping another batch of pancakes. The other Avenger's slowly trickled into the kitchen as they caught the scent of Steve's home cooking. Maddie, Bucky, Natasha, Clint and Sam had been the first ones to the table. They where the only one's that woke up at a reasonable hour. 

Sam, being the extroverted guy he was, was striking up a conversation with the Avenger's currently in the room about their most impressive shot. Stories where being told, and as it was a roomful of Assassin's, they soon delved into mission's they'd been on. Steve was growing more and more uncomfortable as he realized just how gory his friends could be. They spoke of killing as if it where an everyday thing, and Steve Rogers was a man with morals. 

Sure, he killed, but it wasn't something he was proud of. He did what he had too, but the group of people sitting at the table, eating his food, were something else. They held human life in contempt, and it grated against everything he stood for. It hadn't dawned on him, until now, that he saw the sides of themselves they wanted him to see. Now it was truly hitting home that he lived in a tower with five assassin's. Even the reserved Maddie was getting into the conversation after twenty minutes. 

By that time, Steve was sick to his stomach at the way these people acted. He knew he had finally made enough food and he stormed out before he actually threw up. He crashed into Tony. Steve backed up, blushing.

 "Sorry." He muttered, then felt his stomach churn as he heard ruckus laughter from the kitchen. Tony looked at the kitchen. He was wandering what had everyone laughing.

"What's going on in there?" He asked, then noticed that Steve was looking aggravated. He frowned, it didn't look like Steve was embarrassed, he was upset. 

"Steve?" He asked. The super soldier looked up from the ground. Tony saw disgust and horror in his eyes. America's most patriotic man didn't know if he should answer or not. He shifted, then said. "I just realized that they are assassin's." Tony rolled his eyes.

"No shit." He scoffed. Steve glared at him as laughter sounded again. "I knew that, but it didn't really sink in until they started talking about killing people!" He snapped, then stormed past the billionaire. Tony watched him go, then entered the kitchen just as everyone got up. The group of Assassin's put their plates and eating utensils in the dishwasher, then brushed past Tony. 

Maddie was deciding that she actually like the Avenger's. Well, she liked Bucky, Natasha and Clint. She wasn't to sure about everyone else. They all headed to Sam's room, since he offered to let everyone 'chill' there. They all settled into the room, and kept talking. Maddie stayed silent, adding her input when she really felt the need to.  

Maddie felt some emotion well up inside her. She realized it was happiness. She was accepted by a bunch of people that where like her. As she looked across the room at Sam, she was startled to something guarded in his eyes as he looked at her. It disappeared as quickly as she'd caught it, and he smiled at her.  She gave him a small smile back. Maybe she had just imagined it.