Chapter 12

They say human nature is peculiar, totally unique. We don't instantly trust people, not atleast at the first glance but when we do, we put everything in the path of that trust. Deteriorate every inhibition dragging us from building the faith, struggling to put all logics at bay for the sake of just a word, trust. A word so precise but weighing oceans of meaning, bulk of sacrifices and restraint. Yet, stays being the most overlooked and played term.

They say it takes years for one to build trust, for a few, days maybe. But it takes time, it always does and always would. Trusting someone is letting down your protective shield, one that knowingly and unknowingly everyone has set, sometimes high sometimes moderate, just enough to make space for anyone else and adjusting it for them to fit in.

It's more like heaping stones and arranging them into a tower, placing all asymmetrical chunks of rocks over each other relying on the mercy of surrounding to keep the tower intact, to prevent it from falling. If lucky it does stand, keeps standing unless moved, shaken or attacked. It attempts to restrain the mild mishaps and even stands a few jerks but ultimately tumbles at a sharp wave.

Trust functions along the same lines, standing crooked yet firm. Struggling to maintain its being even when people try to coax it into falling, this is how profound the impact of trust brings along. But they say there's always enough blows a thing can take before collapsing, shattering into splinters; scattering widespread as they please. The broken pieces go so far that even if you search for them, they remain lost, owing to never return.

Another round of applause knocks me out of the shock I was in. In my mind at the moment only two words resonated back and forth.

Trust. Betrayal.

I felt ditched, played even. In my heart I was wishing for all the situation to have an explanation, one that wouldn't hurt me but the rational conscience of mine knew better. It mocked me inquisitively that was I so desperate in not wanting to lose friends that I was praying for them to have any proper reason for ditching me. Hade I been so needy to have people to be with that I don't anymore care even if they openly fool with me.

 My eyes darted over to look at Ken so he could tell me that it was all a joke and he has only reacted that way to see for my reaction. I was wishing for him to yell that I'd fallen for one of his antic but in return just lowered his head, making me inhale sharply. His face was masked in shame and apology. Tears welled in my eyes, I shook my head and gulped the emotions restricting them from falling. My gaze then drifted over to Cassie, my obstinate self still adamant in believing it all to be some comedic approach other than reality but she had a forlorn look at her face and was glaring daggers at Ken, allowing my heart to sink.

AB on the other hand had turned stoic; rigid. The mellowed softness from a few minutes ago now steeled, drawn into huge blocks of barrier from his heart. His demeanor stoned and stiff. Physically proving his infamous personality, being a live model to all the characteristics he was told to possess. Ofcourse he was a devil according to the people.

Mr. White. Gabriel White. He's the one. My mind kept chanting the name yet refused to associate it with the person himself.

He was Mr. White. The Mr. White. The one I'd so many times mentioned and conspired theories about. The Mr. White, who'd been holding me captive no more than couple weeks ago. The very man from whom I'd wanted to stay hidden from and had once ran away from. The one who owned the company I work in. Also, the only one who had made me feel a shifted position of my heart, who has invoked something in me, some strange feelings. Something which I don't know might either represent like or distaste but there is something very powerful. What? I have no clue.

I couldn't hate my luck anymore. Are all dramatic situations meant to happen with me? My eyes roamed around the hall and studied the eyes of others to see them blended with the surroundings, being the usual. No one was surprised, noone was shocked. Everybody knew, everybody had known all along. I don't blame them, how can I? They weren't the ones at fault, heck, had I not had this stupid wish to not see who Mr. White was online, I might've actually known the truth and might as well have saved myself from a deceiving situation. But no! From the entire crowd of people it was me, just me who stood here paralyzed taking in information.