Chapter 8

The beast opened the large French doors to reveal a room bigger than the one at the cottage by a thousand. The ceilings reached higher than she could imagine and the length of the room was so long you could get tired from running from one end of the room to the other.

A large bed in the middle of the room had a canopy over it and the bed spread was decorated with embroidered roses. Belle walked to the bed and ran her fingers over the careful stitching.

"Dinner will be ready soon," The beast growled and slammed the large door.

Belle whipped around and ran to the door, punding her fists on the mahogony. "Really? You'll just lock me in here?" She turned back to the bed and mumbled "At least it's better than the dungeon."

She walked over to the book case beside the bed and ran her hand over the many spines. She found one that peaked her interest and slid it off the shelf. Flipping the pages, she settled onto the bed and began to read.

She jumped at the sound of her wardrobe opening. She stared at the mahogany unsure of what happened. Then at the top of the wardrobe, two eyes opened and closed as if waking up from a deep sleep. Belle's heart started beating rapidly. The wardrobe blinked one last time and a smile spread across its...face?

"Is he gone?" The wardrobe asked. She did not sound French. More American actually.

"Who?" Belle asked quietly.

"Why the master of course." The wardrobe rolled its eyes in annoyance.

"Yes... I think so." She was gripping the book in her hands so tightly that her knuckles were turning white.

The wardrobe seemed  notice Belle's uneasiness and quickly changed her tone. "Oh, dear me. I am very sorry. I did not men to scare you. My dearest apologies. I haven't formally introduced myself." The wardrobe bent in half as if made of rubber in a sort of bow. "My name is Cora. And I will be your wardrobe to help all your fashion needs."

Belle raised an eyebrow and nodded slowly. Iamgoingcrazy, she thought. Talkingbeastsandtalkingwardrobes? SomehowIamlosingmymind.

"Have you met our butler? François?"

Belle shook her head.

Cora frowned. "I'll ring him up. You must meet him." The wardrobe moved over the far wall on what seemed like wheels. This was all very confusing to Belle. Cora opened her closet space and reached out a hanger to press a button on the wall.

"He should be here shortly."

A moment later the door slowly opened and a small candlestick appeared. There was a smile spread across his face and he bowed low.

"Bonjour, Cheri," he said. "It is such a pleasure to have you here."

Belle crossed her arms. "I don't think it's a pleasure to be here."

A look of disappointment passed over François' face. "That is too bad. I'm sure we can fix that." He held out a stick for her too take. She hesitantly took it. He lead her out the bedroom and down the stairs.

He led her through a maze of hallways showing her different sights in the castle. Suits of armor, priceless jewels, other talking objects. François told her that the castle and the beast were put under a spell. When the Beast is shown love and loves back, only then will the curse break. Belle contemplated this as she was being led down another hallway.

"You are never to go down to the west wing. It is forbidden," François said.

Belle frowned. "Why?"

"Zat is ze Masters wing. No one enters."

Belle nodded in understanding. All of this was a lot to take in but if she was told not to cross the Beast she would listen.

A small duster waddled up to François and whispered something too low for her to here. A look of horror appeared on his face and he nodded quickly. The duster hurried off and the candelabra turned to Belle.

"We must hurry back to your room," He said rather frantic. "The master has a want to invite you to dinner but he wants to do it himself. My feathery friends are hoping to stall him for a few moments.

Belle nodded in understanding and quickly sprinted off to her room. She ran up the stairs two at a time and practically galloped down the hall. She wrenched open the doors and threw herself inside with François in tow. She slammed the doors shut and locked it with a loud think. She crept over to the bed, exhausted and out of breath.

There was a large pound on the door followed by a deep and growling voice. "I want you to come to dinner!" He roared.

"After how you treat me? I think not! I'm not hungry anyways!" She crossed her arms over her chest still laying on the bed.

There was a petite voice on the other side that sounded the opposite of The Beast's. She couldn't quite make out what was said but soon The Beast spoke again in a little bit of a gentler tone. "Please."

"No!" She retorted. She didn't care how nice he was trying to be, she did not want to eat dinner with him.

"Then go ahead and starve!" There was a thumping of footsteps down the hallway and soon they faded away.