Chapter 5

When the two arrived at the party Belle could hear music pouring out of the windows of the small house. She saw people dressed up as horrible monsters, damsels, clowns and so much more. Just watching the party made her head throb.

Stephan came around to her side of the car and opened her door. Belle stepped out and looked up. Stephan was holding out his arm for her to take. She sighed and took his arm.

"We'll stay for a half hour then you take me home." she hissed in his ear.

"What ever you say."

***

"Stephan, please let's go. S'il vous plait." Belle tugged at Stephan's jacket.

Stephan just waved her away and went back to talking to his friends.

Ugh. Men. she thought angrily.

Belle then spotted Stephan's car keys in his pocket. She carefully reached in and pulled them out successfully without getting his attention.

Won't drive me home? I'll drive myself home.

Belle walked to the car that already had a blanket of snow covering it. She grunted and jerked open the door.

When Belle arrived home she threw the keys on the counter and stared out the window at the castle on the mountain.

Castle. The castle.

She remember the note and thought that maybe that is what it meant.

Belle hurried and changed into skinny jeans, a long sleeved shirt, boots and a heavy winter coat. She ran back to get her keys and sprinted to her car.

If this is what the note meant by castle then she was one step closer to finding her Grand-mère.

***

Belle stood before the large oak doors to the castle debating whether or not she should enter. She placed a hand on the door, took a deep breath, and pushed.

The door creaked open revealing a long, dark hallway lit only by the light of candles on the walls. It was eerily quiet with only the sound of her heels on the hardwood floor.

Paintings lined the wall of the hallway. Faces in the pictures were ripped out but only certain faces. There was a large picture at the end of the hallway with a king and queen and someone standing by the two but the face was ripped so she couldn't make out the features.

For a thousand year castle it was in pretty good shape. Belle was going to put her hand on a table with a thick layer of dust when she heard a deafening roar reverberate throughout the castle. Her hand froze. She heard it again and a cry for help. It sounded like Grand-mere.

Belle took off in the direction of the roar taking her down to the dungeon. She descended the stairs as fast as she possibly could and barged through the door.

First thing she saw was her Grand-mère behind a barred door, her face full of terror. "Belle! No! You must not be here!

Ignoring Grand-mère and her warning, Belle ran to the barred door and tugged. Locked.

Of course it is, she thought.

She whipped around, trying to find a key of some sort and ended up having her eyes land on something very large, hairy and breathing heavy. Her eyes traveled from its feet to its head where two large yellow eyes stared back.

Belle screamed and fell back, landing hard on the stone floor. She took in the beast that stood in front of her. The beast was probably a cross from a bear and a lion. It may have stood twelve feet tall and had dark brown fur everywhere.. Its teeth that were bared were about as big as her thumb.

It roared in Belles face so loud she thought her eardrum might burst. " Who are you?"

Belle just stared, wide eyed. It can speak too?

"Answer me!" It cried.

"B-Belle," she stuttered. "I-I've come to take my Grand-mère back. You took her and she doesn't belong to you!" She yelled back with just as much force.

"I'll let her go," he snarled. "if you agree to take her place."

"No!" Grand-mère cried, tears running down her face.

"Be quiet!" The beast roared.

"You don't have any right to speak to her that way!" Belle glared at it and after a few minutes of contemplating she came to a conclusion. She sighed. "I'll stay."