Chapter 13

~Back in the town~

Grandmere had returned to the cottage and sat silent in her home, contemplating, worrying and fearful. When she fled she had the intention of going to the police and when she did they looked into it. Now they are planning on getting back up and going in to end this Beast's life. 

"It is a threat to the town," the constable had told her. "And we will get your granddaughter back."

There was a knock at the door. Grandmere skeptically walked to the door and opened it just a crack. It was Stephan.

"Ah! Mrs. Beaumont, I am so glad you are home! I was hoping to talk to you for just a moment."

~~~

Belle opened her door slowly so as not to make noise easily heard by the Beast. She stepped into the hallway a bag thrown over her shoulder with food and extra clothes. From the looks of it outside, the snow was coming down in buckets. She crept down the wide stairs and hurried down the hallway towards the front door.

"Cheri!" A familiar voice called from behind. Belle stopped and shut her eyes, letting out an apologetic sigh. She turned and faced François. "Cheri, where are you going?" 

She hesitated before answering. "I need to leave. This place. All the servants being furniture. It's all too much for me. I tried to help your master but it has overwhelmed me."

François looked at her with sad eyes then looked down to the floor. "Do you think you could stay for a bit longer?"

Now Belle looked down at the floor, shaking her head slowly. "I don't know. It's so strange being here and Adam was actually starting to open up, starting to establish trust." She put her head in her hands. "I'm sorry." She stood, opened the big oak door and snuck out into the night. She ditched the idea of taking her car since it was covered in snow. She straightened the pack on her back and trudged down the hill side. 

The woods around her were thick and it was hard to see much of anything. She rounded a tree and froze when she saw something moving. A figure but it soon disappeared behind a tree. her heart thumped in her chest. before she took another step a hand clamped over her mouth and another wrapped around her waist. 

Belle kicked and tried to break free but who ever had her was strong and wasn't letting her go. "My goodness, Belle, sit still." She knew that voice. That voice that has tried for so many years to try and be with her. She rammed her heel between his legs and for a moment he weakened allowing her to get away. She ran down the hillside frantically trying to escape.

"Isabelle! Come back!" Stephan cried after her. 

Belle's foot caught on a root and she fell hard on her stomach. She gasped for breath and rolled onto her back. Stefan ran up beside her and helped her up. He picked her up and cradled her towards a car and placed her into the front seat. She was too out of breath and deprived of energy she couldn't free herself. She sat in the car breathing deeply until they arrived at her grandmother's cottage. 

She exited the car and marched into the little home. "Grandmere!"

The little old woman came out from the kitchen and practically fell apart when she saw her granddaughter. "Cheri!" She embraced Belle with such force Belle could hardly breath again.

"Grandmere, tell me what Stephan is doing kidnapping me?" 

Grandmere smiled and shook her head. "My dear, you have it wrong. Stephan helped me bring you back here."

Belle furrowed her brow. "No, I'm fine." She turned and faced Stephan. "And I don't need your help. Why can't you get it through your thick head that I have no interest in you. In fact, you are the last person I would see myself with." She could feel the poison dripping from the words but she did't care. "Now, please, leave." 

Stephan stood, dumbfounded, for a moment then looked at Belle with anger. "You have made a big mistake." He whipped around, wrenched open the door, and stomped out.

Belle turned back to her grandmother. "I left all by myself. You have nothing to worry about."

"You are safe now. The beast won't hurt you anymore." Grandmere took hold of Belle's hands and pressed her lips gently against them. "Stephan will take care of the Beast."

Belle's eyes widened. "What did you say?"

Grandmere looked pleasantly confused. "Oh, my dear, Stephan is going to make sure the Beast doesn't hurt anyone."

Belle's eyes filled with anger. She pulled away from the grasp in her hands and ran down the hallway.