Chapter 3

Belle and Grand-mère visited the library and Belle stocked up on all things Beast. There were plenty of books on the Legend of the Beast and many things about the fallen kingdom. Unbelievably, there was a large amount of books on the topics.

When they arrived back at the cottage Belle jumped into a bubble bath and read and read and read.  There was so many stories about how to lock up the Beast, how to kill it, and how to tame it.

She may have been in the tub for hours because soon Belle could feel the wrinkly skin on the pads of her feet. Belle had to move her reading to the bed. She dressed in a tight T-shirt and running shorts, tying her brown hair up in a messy bun.

Belle threw herself onto the bed just as Grand-mère came in with a cup of cocoa.

"Oh my! You must take a break sometime." she handed Belle the mug.

"Don't worry. I will."

She smiled. "I will be in the kitchen making dinner."

"Okay."

And with that, Grand-mère turned and left the room, shutting the door softly behind her.

Belle returned to her reading sipping her cocoa.

***

Belle must have fallen asleep because she jerked awake at the sound of total silence. It was very unusual for Grand-mère to be quiet while in the kitchen. Belle then realized it was dark outside.

Wouldn't Grand-mère have woken me? she thought. That's strange.

Belle threw back the sheets and walked over to her bedroom door. She opened it slightly, just enough to peer into the hallway. There were picture frames on the floor, cracked and with glass every where. Belle ran to her closet, grabbed her slippers then returned to her door.

She opened the door all the way and stepped into the hallway, glass popping underfoot. She inched her way down the hall to the kitchen where she found even more broken dishes.

How did I sleep through this

Then she saw blood and Belle's heart began to race. She saw it on the floor and on the counter. Then she saw the knife covered in blood and Belle panicked.

She ran to Grand-mère's room shouting her name and tearing back blankets. Belle, breathing heavy, grabbed her cell phone and dialed 112 for emergency.

She heard three rings and then a females voice. "Bonjour?"

Belle began speaking in French saying that she awoke and found her grandmother gone and blood on the floor. She asked for police to be here immediately.

The dispatcher asked her to stay calm and that authorities will be there soon.

"Merci," Belle said then hung up the phone.