I felt like a house-cat seeing a tiger for the first time.

"That," came Abaddon's voice from behind me, "is Verity."

I snapped my gaze to the man sitting at the radio console, "How the hell did you not notice this approaching?"

He looked at me even as his hands continued their mad dance over the console and glared, "I don't know, I never picked it up entering the system. It just appeared there without warning."

"Amateur," I whispered not-so-subtly.

"Actually, Kalani," came Alizabeth's voice through my new earpiece, "That ship seems to be generating a massive magnetic field around it. Neither my nor Bentlix's sensors can detect it, even now."

If even Bentlix, Viliana's companion AI, couldn't detect Verity approaching, then there was zero chance that the station's ancient sensors were ever going to. I gulped, a silent, respectful fear gripping me. If the robots on board Verity wanted to, they could eradicate us from existence in the blink of an eye, and I was deeply uncomfortable being at the mercy of an AI that was not bound to servitude.

Abaddon whispered something to Reaper and then stepped up next to me, "Impressive, isn't it?"

"And terrifying," I replied. "What if one day they decide that they don't like biological life anymore, what then? What could stop a ship like that?"

Abaddon burst out laughing, and I raised an eyebrow at him, "What's so funny?"

"I just, hold on." He continued laughing for a few moments more, then finally regained his composure, wiping tears from the corners of his eyes, "The Rezoans are merchants, through-and-through. If they started attacking people then who would they trade with?"

I frowned. "How could we ever fathom the thoughts of a being that is thousands of times smarter than us? Of a being that doesn't think about life the same way we do?"

Abaddon smiled at me, shaking his head, "They're a lot more human than you think, Kalani. They aren't some kind of super-AI that transcends reality, they're a commune of like-minded individuals working together towards a common goal. Not unlike ourselves, really."

I looked back at the preposterously large ship floating so close to the station, "Artificial intelligence will never be like us, Abaddon. Never." I stepped up to the radio console and motioned to the operator to hail them. He glared at me for a moment, hesitating, and then obeyed, sending a hail to Verity that was answered nearly instantly.

A video screen built into the radio console burst into grey-coloured life, and a humanoid figure concealed by shadow appeared. I straightened my back, gaining an extra few centimeters of height, and glowered down at the camera mounted above the video screen, "I am Kalani Shairolette, Admiral of Dushel Station, and I greet the Verity. We have been awaiting your arrival."

"Greetings, Admiral Kalani," replied an only faintly robotic voice. "You are not the leader I was expecting. May I inquire as to the status of Queen Demmer?"

"Queen Demmer has been... Forcefully removed from her position. Dushel Station no longer participates in acts of piracy."

"Most interesting. Judging by your mining drones, you intend to engage in an industrial venture, yes?"

I nodded, "With your assistance."

"Well," the voice exclaimed gleefully, "for the right price, the Rezoans are always willing to lend their assistance! You have my permission to board the Verity for purposes of commerce." The figure on the video turned to leave, "I will find you in the marketplace." The transmission cut out.