#19|planning the fresher's party

Start from the beginning

"Thank you," I murmured and shut the door.

"Who ordered this?" my mother asked as I walked inside with the box.

"I definitely didn't," I responded.

"Neither did I," Appu said.

"Mi tar kadhi online madhun magvat nahi," my father chuckled.
"I never order things online,"

"Why did you even take the parcel without asking the courier boy what's in it?"

"Aai, asa te lok direct nahi sangat ki parcel madhe kay ahe. Ani tyanna pan mahit nasta ga," I told her.
"They don't tell us what's in the parcel! They themselves are complete oblivious,"

"Get here, let me open." Appu said.

I kept it on the dinning table. All of us wondered what would be inside. I curiously looked at Appu while she read the details on the box.

She cocked her head at me, "Ata kay dataa ne kaapu mi ha box? Jaa kaichi aan,"
"Do you want me to tear this box with my teeth? Go get the scissors!"

I shot her a glare. I grabbed the scissors from the kitchen and handed her. I sat on my chair back, pretending not to be curious at all. But the truth was I wanted to know what was in the box, desperately.

It had another solid pastel box inside it. It looked royal with the gold details.

"Baghu ikde de," my mother said.
"Let me see what's that,"

Once my mother grabbed the box to see what's inside, I got a better access. My mother opened it and removed a card from inside. It was a wedding invitation card.

"Aho aiklat ka, Aisha cha lagna tharla." my mother told my father.
"Aisha's marriage got fixed,"

I tried to remember who Aisha was. She is my mother's cousin brother's sister-in-law. Wow, what a close relationship we shared. I remembered her well because in most of the family gatherings she would be the girl who had to look the best. Her traditional outfit used to be perfect, her jewellery, her makeup, her hair, everything used to be perfect. She even had the perfect walk, where her waist swayed swiftly when she walked.

I avoided family gatherings and even if I had to attend, I would carry my earphones and battery pack with me. I hated to interact with the nosy aunties and uncles who cared about my life more than my own parents. And there would always be one such aunty who would boast about about her kid's excellent grades and me being not so studious, I would had to listen the tauntings from my mother as well as the other relatives as well.

"So are you going to attend?" Appu asked.

"Obviously, I have to."

"I am telling you in advance, I am not going to attend the wedding." I declared.

"But why not? You'll get to meet your cousins over there." my mother urged.

"Baba, please tell her. I don't like any of my cousins,"

"Excuse me?" Appu ceased her eyebrow at me.

"I mean except you," I corrected.

"And in fact even I won't be able to attend the wedding either. I am not granted any leaves for a whole year," Appu said.

My mother glared at my father who didn't care either to attend the marriage. Since the marriage was from my mother's side he was least interested.

"I'll come with you, don't worry." my father said.

I received a message from Ryan.

~ I'll get changed from the jersey and then join you all

~ alright 🙃

After having the breakfast I directly headed towards the college. Atharv was still in his cricket jersey and there were five more people with him. Ryan was not present, neither any of his friend.

"Hi," I forced a smile at my batchmates.

I got seated beside Atharv. He grinned at me and kept his hand on my shoulder, putting all his weight on me.

"You are so heavy," I groaned.

"Not more than you,"

"So how was the match?" I asked.

His jersey was a little dirty and I frowned at him.

"Why didn't you change the clothes?"

"I was too lazy to do that. Anyways, we got selected for the final. And I got man of the match," he grinned widely.

"That's so great. Oh my god," I squealed and hugged him.

Only if I knew all the batchmates and the people around were going to look at us, I would have not screamed so loudly. I bit my lip awkwardly wishing them to start the group conversation.

"I asked my senior friend how they had planned the menu. And she said that the group just went to the catering service and asked him to do whatever the best they could cook." One from our group said.

"That's the reason why no one of us liked the food," The other chuckled.

"But we cannot trust the catering people,"

Atharv and I looked at them cluelessly. We were in the group only because we would get to choose whatever dishes we liked. But none of them bothered to take our opinion.

"Uh wait, Dhvani, I guess your brother is a chef. Isn't it?"

All the eight heads turned to face me. I looked at Atharv and responded with a yes.

"So why don't you ask him to help us? I'm sure he would be a great help,"

"Yes sure,"

"Then call him,"

"Like right now?" I gobsmacked.

"We have the party a few days later,"

"Oh okay,"

I removed my phone from my pocket and called Ved. I wished he wouldn't pick up my call, but he did. I regretted for having taken a part in the group. I would have sat home instead and relaxed. Why do I and Atharv make the bad decisions every time?