33 | gnome garden

Start from the beginning

    "This must be the special boy that has my little girl smiling to herself," Dad appears from the foyer.

     Jude straightens up and manages a sheepish smile. "I hope that's me, sir. It's nice to meet you." He lets out a polite hand.

    "Oh, come here!" Dad takes that hand and pulls him into a hug as well. Maybe tighter than Mom's. And slightly longer. When he pulls away, though, Jude's face is white.

     I frown. "Are you — "

    "Dinner's served!" Dad pushes me until I stumble. "Off we go!"

***

    "So," Mom starts, munching on a bite as she cuts off her steak. "Addie says you play track, Jude?"

    "Yes, ma'am. Have been since I was twelve."

     Twelve? I look at him for a while — he's sitting right beside me — realising it's yet another thing I didn't know about him. I know he feels my stare, but he doesn't turn to acknowledge it.

    "Wow! That's impressive," she beams across from him. "Have you had any interest in trying out different things, new areas?"

     Jude chuckles. "Sorry to disappoint, but no, that's not my sort of thing. I tried, but I failed. Not like your daughter here," he nods at me, and I blush at the sudden shift of spotlight. His eyes glint with — not amusement. He's dead serious. "With all her medals and trophies in all departments possible. I've never met anyone as daring."

    He must've glanced at them in the living room. "Jude," I hiss, but I'm secretly flattered. Butterflies erupt in my stomach.

     Dad gives me a thumbs-up. "Sounds like my little girl."

     I smile at him like thanks dad. "He's lying, though, guys," I bring up. "Jude is involved in that play I was telling you about. So he's branching out of his two-dimensional athlete persona."

    "Oh!" Mom grins. "What role are you playing?"

     I bite off my laugh while Jude scratches his head. "Uh," he pauses. "Bottom."

    "I turn his head into a donkey," I explain.

    "That's very romantic, dear."

    "Is that how you two met, then?" Dad gestures to the both of us. "During the play?"

    "No," I say nonchalantly, not even thinking twice about my words, "we met in detention."

     He whips his head. "What?"

     Uh oh. "I mean, I got there myself — Jude didn't put me there or anything — " I'm literally making it worse.

    "Actually, Mr. Hale," Jude clears his throat. "I have a gift for you."

     Dad raises a suspicious eyebrow as my boyfriend fumbles for something inside the bag. Right. The gift that he said he was looking for. Nice saviour. We're all frowning, though. Because what could it —

     A gnome.

     Jude reveals a full-fledged gnome, with the pointy hat and coat and all, and places it on the dining table like it belongs there.

     Oh my freakin' God.

     Penny drops her spoon.

    "I..." Dad is utterly speechless. He touches it delicately, admiring its work. "This is beautiful." He stares at Jude, still shocked, but there's something else in his eye. Acceptance, hopefully? "You are a wonderful human being, son."