31 | olive branch

Start from the beginning

***

     Don't ask me how Trey and I ended up meeting the Reynolds' parents at their own house. I'm not even sure how we got there.

    "Why did you think this was a good idea?" I hiss.

    "Because for once, let's stick to mine and not yours," he hisses back. "Now shush, they'll think we're gossiping about them or something."

    "I think they already are."

     Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds looks at us with nervous smiles.

    "So." Mrs. Reynolds clears her throat and crosses her legs for the hundredth time. "You two are close friends of Justine and Jude?"

    "Yes, ma'am." Phew. I'm leaving all the talking to Trey. To say that I'm nervous is a major understatement. They're a splitting image of their kids — beautiful, classy and downright intimidating. "I'm Trey. The one who talked to you on the phone. And this is Addie."

     I gulp and give them an awkward wave.

    "Oh! Addie!" Mr. Reynolds' face brightens. "I've heard about you. Both of you, actually. Justine talks about you two a lot." He turns to me. "She's very fond of you; I don't think she's ever talked about a friend like that before."

     I purse my lips. "Only Justine?"

     Mrs. Reynolds chuckles. "If you're referring to our son, then yes, he's a bit quiet with us. Doesn't share much about his personal life as we'd like."

    "Oh." I let out a hesitant laugh. "Sounds like Jude."

     Around an hour passes and we all get into action. Trey showed them pictures and ideas of how to set up the place, while I brought my laptop and pulled a powerpoint presentation. Trey looked at me either thinking that I was dumb or the smartest girl on the planet.

     But it's crazy how relaxed it feels with them — like being in this living room is our everyday routine. I forget sometimes that parents used to be young, too. And that they make jokes like normal people. And that they're not as serious and out-of-reach as we all like to make them out to be.

    "We can make those mini-burgers they use for really exclusive events!" I bring up once I'm in the kitchen alone with Mrs. Reynolds. "Justine would love those."

    "And yogurts," she grins. I frown. "For Jude. He loves them." 

    "Huh." I can't hide my shock. "I never knew."

     And that gets me thinking: how well do I actually know him? Apart from hanging out with him almost every time Justine is around, I've never really asked anything about him. I've been too busy with other... variables.

     Another thing that surprises me: I want to get to know him. So much.

    "I've noticed something's been bothering him, you know."

     Mrs. Reynolds is giving me a knowing look, having noticed my odd pause. "What?" I squeak. 

    "I hear him staying up late, like he constantly has something in his mind. Or someone."

     I swallow. "Oh."

    "Mhhm." She pauses. "Like I said, he doesn't open up to anyone that much. So if he did... that means he cares a great deal about that person. Remember that."