F o u r t e e n

The rest of week at school went by relatively fast. Dr. Kim was out of the office so I didn't have to attend therapy any which, in a way, was nice. Classes were filled with mind-numbing quizzes and exhausting tests and ceramics was my only escape during those daily eight grueling hours. Jake had picked me up every morning and had taken me for ice cream after school each day, ensuring more rumors. On the bright side they were about the two of us dating and not drugs or pregnancy so that's good I guess. My car was currently sitting at a junk yard because it was going to cost more than what it's worth so in the mean time I am carless but have been donned with a personal chauffeur—more against my will but then again Jake does live right next to me.  He sat with us at lunch each day and even those that we were camping with joined us more than once which was somewhat surprising as I thought they believed that being seen with me was worse than dating a leper.

Currently, I'm shoving clothes into a small duffel bag to last until Sunday along with toiletries and anything else I feel I may need. The others said they would be arriving to our houses in about ten minutes and since I chose to be lazy and play video games last night instead of pack here I am rushing myself. School ended about an hour ago, giving everyone time to drop off their books and grab their bags and it would take us about an hour and a half to get to the camping area. We needed to move fast if we were to pitch our tents before nightfall and I really didn't want to be the reason why we were hiking in the woods in darkness.

My doorbell rang and I cursed under my breath, running out to greet whoever was here. Grasping the handle, I opened the door and was greeted by Lee and Caroline looking like two models from a Bass Pro magazine, wearing flannel shirts, jeans, and hiking boots. I grinned and stepped aside, letting them in, "Okay you two look adorable," I said. I on the other hand wore a Northface sweatshirt, a pair of leggings, a blush pink chunky beanie, and a pair of duck boots.

Lee grinned and looked me over as well, "You too Serena. Ready to go?"

I pressed my lips together and shrugged my shoulders, "Uh, I think so. Give me a second and I'll be right out?" They nodded and I jogged to my room going over a metal list in my head, feeling like I was forgetting something. "Whatever," I muttered to myself as I zipped up my bag, looping my right arm through it. I padded down the hall to Tess's room and opened the door slowly. She had gotten home this morning around eleven and was exhausted after a fourteen hour shift. "Aunt Tess," I whispered loudly. She stirred in her sleep but didn't wake up,  causing me to smile and shaking my head. I'd just have to settle for a text telling her that I'm leaving and that I'd be back Sunday afternoon.

I walked back to my friends who were lounging on my couch and grabbed a water bottle from my fridge. "Okay, lets go," I say, slipping the bottle into the side of my backpack.

The three of us leave my house and make the short walk across my yard to Jake's who is currently loading up everyone's things into the back of his Jeep. The other four—Alex, Kurt, James, and Taylor—are loading up their belongings into the back of a white pick up as well that I recognized from seeing at school. I was almost positive it was Kurt's and he had gotten it brand new about a year ago I think. In the back of the bed, they arrange our tents, coolers, and fire wood and joke with ease amongst themselves.

When Jake sees me his face lights up and he walks over to meet us, greeting my friends first before turning his attention to me. "Hey Carter. All packed?" he asks, reaching out for my bag.

I nod my head and hand it over which he takes with ease, "Hey Jake. I think so but there's no telling till we get there. I feel like I'm forgetting like, a million things."

He laughs and the four of us walk to his jeep and help loading our things up. "Where are your parents?" I ask as the others walk over to us as well. We all save and greet one another and Jake turns back to me, shrugging.