"But this is not right, kayc." He kept going. "We made de rule of emergencies only for a reason... I can't leave my life here if I keep thinking about you and your life, and the same goes for you."

She sighed. "I know.... but Sean?"

"What?" He asked with the soft voice he only has for her.

"Before we hang out, can I ask you something?" He hummed a yes on the other end. "Can I open the envelope with you?"

"Kayc..." He trailed off as she interrupted him.

"Please... I need to share something with you." She begged.

"Alright." He said after a few seconds of thinking.

Holding the phone between her neck and her ear, she used both of her shaky hands to open the envelope — she was nervous without really knowing why, she would love this kid no matter what decided to be... gosh, she already loved this kid without knowing a thing about it but yet she was nervous because part of her really got attached to the idea of being a girl.

With a shaky hand, she pulled the piece of paper that was inside, it took her a while but among other pieces of information, she finally found what she was looking for — it's was a girl.

Sean heard an almost silent sniff. "kayc?"

"It's a girl." She said, exhaling the air she didn't notice she was holding.

He smiled at it because he knew deep down she wanted a girl — and because he couldn't avoid smiling at the thought of a mini-Kaycee running around in this world. "Congratulations, beautiful, I'm sure she's gonna be a very loved girl."

Kaycee smiled, drying her tears. "Thanks."

He laughed. "Are you crying?"

"Shut up, it's the pregnancy." They both laughed as she stopped the tears, sighed as the laughs went out. "Thank you for listening."

"I know we shouldn't but... thank you for sharing this with me." He said honestly — he really wanted to be part of these moments of her life, but he couldn't. "Bye, beautiful."

"Bye." She answered and then the call was over, and suddenly she felt lonely.

Kaycee wanted to share this moment with Sean because she missed him more than she could afford, and not just the Sean she was in love with — she was missing her best friend.

Sean asked Kaycee to dance with him for the first time when she was fifteen, before that they were more acquaintances than anything else but after that, they've become inseparable — it was hard to process but it didn't take long for her to trust him more than she trusted any other thing or person in the planet, as it didn't take long for him to know her better than she knew herself, as it didn't take long for her to fall in love him.

She went years with her feeling in secret because he was her best friend and she knew that it was hard to find someone to love, but that it was even harder to find a true and pure friendship in which you can be yourself regardless of the rest of the word.

Ever since he walked into her life, Sean has been her safe spot, the only person on the planet she was never ashamed to be herself with because she knew that he would love her no matter what — just like she would with him.

She missed having him around and making her laugh more than anything. She missed being able to tell him things, so yeah, blame her for wanting to share a thing with him — she was missing not only her lover but most importantly, her best friend.

But that being said, there was another reason for her to want to open the envelope: she was exhausted.

For Gabe, everything was a reason to make a party, a dinner, a get-together, or another thing he invented to get people to reunite at their house but Kaycee was tired, both physically and mentally — it was mentally exhausting to be around people because she had to pretend to be in love with him, and it was physically tiring too for the fact that she was five months pregnant for fucking sake, all she really wanted was to take her shoes off and lay in the couch while watching friends.

She drove to her house, thinking about how to tell Gabe that she had already seen the gender once they promised to wait it out to know with everyone in the party he wanted to make — because she knew he wasn't going to stop with the parties.

She parked the car and walked inside her house only to find it empty — she was confused because he was supposed to be home by now. in the fridge, there was a note from Gabe: came home but you weren't, try to call you but it was busy. went to help my mother, don't wait for me to have dinner cuz I'm gonna be teaching tonight - ily

Kaycee sighed twice: one, in relief because she would have time to hide the envelope and wouldn't have to face him; and two, because it was kind of frustrating how he didn't keep track of her doctor's appointments — it would be really good to have someone to go with her once in a while.

She took her shower and changed herself into some cozy sweatpants and shirt, and walked herself to the baby's room as she started to organize the little clothes — the silence was nice to clean her mind but it was also lonely.

It wasn't something that happened all the time, but sometimes when everything was quiet she would feel as if she was the only person on the planet and that idea of loneliness really scared her... so then she would end up singing lullabies to her baby because it always made her kick, and that movement always soothes Kaycee's heart — it reminded her that she wasn't alone.

***

(please don't forget to comment and vote if you liked 💛🌼)