Sun and Moon (Greg/Pearl)

Start from the beginning

        "Oh no, it's okay. I'd— I'd be mad too, believe me."

        "All in all, you were quite attractive," Pearl snickered. When she raised her head to find his eyes on her, she flushed. "Oh, no!— I'm sorry. That was . . . inappropriate. I. . ."

        He chuckled. "It's fine. I got that . . . a lot."

        When he looked out the window at the moonlit sea, it suddenly dawned on him how repetitive this conversation was. They would latch onto a topic, Pearl would open up, and then she'd start and apologise and shut herself off again. He knew it was probably a step too far, but he shifted over on the couch and put his hand over hers. She looked up, startled.

        "Pearl . . . it's okay to be honest. You don't need to apologise for . . . for thinking things and asking questions."

        Her expression was pinched and her cheeks dusted with blue. Gingerly she slid her hand out from under his. ". . . I know."

        Her tension hung like something alive between them.

        Man, is she hard to talk to.

        But even if this was hard, he was determined to uphold conversation. Try and find a mutual understanding — if not for them, for Steven. He wanted for them so desperately to get along — it would be unfair not to at least try.

        "Uhhh . . . so I heard you and Steven fused?"

        She gave him a bashful smile. The tension was still there, present in her shoulders and her posture, but lessened. "Yes, we did."

        "Were they like . . . Rainbow Quartz? A reincarnation?. . . Or different?"

        She shook her head in gentle admonishment. "Steven's a completely new person, right?"

        "Yeah, but the gems—"

        "Our gems don't matter so much. A fusion is an amalgam of two or more Gems' physical and mental characteristics. So . . . yes, they were . . . different. Very different."

        She looked wistful. There was a soft light in her eyes.

        "Steven couldn't stop talking about them," Greg admitted.

        She laughed. "That's the way he is. What did he tell you?"

        "Well, uh . . . he said something about a rainbow umbrella and taking two birds with one stone—"

        "Two stones with one bird," Pearl corrected. Her smile was bright and genuine.

        "Ah, that's right — because you had to rescue Ruby and Sapphire, right? — and apparently he's got two more new fusions and a third . . . 'reformed' one."

        "That's right." She nodded. "With Amethyst's new form, Smoky Quartz got an update, and Steven also fused with Garnet and the rest of us."

        His jaw dropped. "What? Can he even do that??"

        She laughed again — she was opening up! This was a good sign. "It would seem so. . . You've seen the fusion carving outside, right?"

        He nodded. "The lady holding the shack?"

        "Yes. That's Obsidian — with Rose Quartz. We managed to form Obsidian with Steven, this time."

        "Whoa! How big were they?"

        "Almost as big as the temple carving."

        "That's amazing. . .!" He paused. ". . . Y'know, I haven't seen any of his Crystal Gem fusions yet."

        "Really?"

        He shook his head. "Only Stevonnie. And I don't even know them that well."

        "Well . . . We'll have to have a special night in— . . . or out," she said, glancing up at the roof. "I'm sure Steven would love to introduce you to everyone."

        "That would be great. They all sound amazing."

        "They are!"

        He smiled. ". . . Y'know, I've already said this but . . . thank you for fixing my van."

        "It's no problem."

        "No, really—"

        "No, really!" she cut him off, grinning. "I enjoyed it!"

        "Well . . . I'm glad." He glanced out the window. His van was parked out on the beach. "I wouldn't really have a home or anything without it."

        "You could have stayed here," Pearl interjected.

        "Remember last time that happened?"

        She gave a resigned laugh. "I suppose. . ." a quick glance over her shoulder. ". . . But you did fix that containment dome. Temporarily."

        "Well, glad to know I'm appreciated!" He gave her a soft nudge and they both laughed.

        The conversation had abruptly died down, but neither of them seemed to mind. The silence that settled was calm, welcoming — all the earlier tension had evaporated.

        It was after a few minutes that Greg stood up. "There's Steven! With the others. I guess I better clear out."

        Pearl looked disappointed. "So soon? You can stay for dinner, if you like."

        "Nah. Permanent housing's too cramped for me." He started for the door, and then paused. Slowly he turned around. "Hey, wanna grab dinner some time? You don't have to eat. Just to talk, y'know? Get to know each other better."

        The smile she returned was warm. "I'd like that."

PROMPT: "I want a story with Greg and Pearl in a romantic relationship without Pearl dying" for AmberAkatsuki on Fanfiction.net! Hope you enjoyed! :)
        People are awkward. And, in my defence, yes, this is the first step, but I plan to write a second (and maybe third) part. Sorry it took so long!