Invitation: Part 1

Start from the beginning

Right. Right!

I open my mouth, suddenly feeling a little brave to try and say something intelligent. The very obvious fact that 'I have an at least 95% chance of screwing this up' totally goes out of my mind. Later, when I'm sober enough to actually analyze my actions, I will find myself cursing my hot-headedness and impulsive nature which always leads to unwanted circumstances. But for now, the only thing in my mind is Levi.

Levi. Who is right here.

Levi. Who I can talk to right now if I want.

Levi. Whom I–

My thoughts are interrupted by a flash of teeth and thick rimmed glasses. Yes, you got it right. It's them. The culprit is bouncing back towards us, grinning widely. And there appears to be something in their hand. So they finally found what they were looking for after almost wrecking the whole store. I look closely to see what this prized possession is.

A champagne bottle.

You've gotta be kidding me!

I hear a weird noise beside me, and turn my head to find Levi fuming. Huh! So we're both pissed off at the same thing. Well, to be honest, any man with a sane mind would be. But naïve as it is, my heart decides that it's a special thing to have something in common with Levi and starts jumping with joy.

Stupid heart! Stop beating so loud!

"All that hassle, and you brought this?"

"Levi!" Hange pouts. "My gal deserves the best. I can't just bring anything for her. I had to make sure I get the best gift."

"... And that's supposed to be champagne?"

"Not just any champagne shorty! It's the champagne!"

"Am I supposed to know what the fuck that means?"

"Guess not!" Hange beams mischievously. Levi sighs.

"Awww, don't pout!" they try to poke him in the arm. He swats their hand away. "It's the same one Carla brought for me to celebrate my 18th birthday", they add with a smile.

Carla?

"Uh... Hange..." I mumble. Gah! My head hurts from all the confusion.

"Yup!" they turn to me, grinning from ear to ear.

"What's this all about?"

"Oh! You don't know?!" they turn towards Levi. "You two have been standing here all this time. You could've told him!"

"He didn't ask."

Oh, so now it's my fault?! Forgive me if I was afraid to lose my fucking life!

"Doesn't matter!" Hange screeches. The man behind the counter looks at them, irritated. They glance at him, then take out their wallet to pay, still bickering non-stop without a care in the world. "Okay snotball, the thing is, your mom invited us to dinner tonight", they use their index finger to push their glasses back.

Why does it remind me of Armin? Maybe because they both are nerds and both of them have a disturbing habit of butting in other people's minds. Anyway, more importantly, mom invited them. Why didn't I know about this? She probably talked to them this morning, after I left for school. She could at least tell me last night that she's planning to invite them. Well, I guess it's alright. It's not like it's the first time Hange will visit my house.