Chapter 20- Twinkies And Love

I had tears in my eyes as I shoved all sorts of clothes and other necessities into a duffle bag. Even if this place had been horrible to me, it had people I cared about. It had my father beneath the ground in a cell, waiting to be saved. It had Owen with his sad smiles, sparkling eyes, and soft lips. It had Mogli, quiet and reserved and Tom, brass and always joking. It had Sera, who scared the shit out of me, but I couldn't help but want to get to know better. The small patter of feet and the scent of pine trees and vanilla filled the air, and I paused.

"Where are you going?" Owen asked, his voice shaking. My eyes squeezed shut and I flinched. How was I supposed to explain this to him, and manage to keep him from coming with me? This would be incredibly dangerous, and even if Owen could probably handle himself better in a fight than I could, I couldn't bring him with me, and he'd definitely want to come with. 

"Out. Farouk is sending me on a wild goose chase." I tried to keep my voice steady, but I could hear the tremble in it, which meant Owen could probably hear it, too. I turned to face him, shoving my shaking hands into my pockets. It wasn't necessarily a lie, but it certainly wasn't the truth and he could tell. Owen crossed his arms over his chest and raised an eyebrow at me. His eyes were rimmed with red, and I flinched at the memory of him sobbing outside of Farouk's room. Maybe I should've listened and run away with him when I had the chance. Too late now, though.

"What is he making you do?" Owen asked, his voice wary. I flinched and stared at the floor. He wouldn't be happy to hear my answer. I knew if I was in his place I wouldn't like it either. I'd feel worried and scared, and I wouldn't be able to think straight till he was back. I couldn't do that to him.

"I can't tell you." I murmured. I felt the tension in the air swell with my words. Owen's glare pierced my back and I shivered.

"Milo," Owen coaxed, his voice morphing into a groan. I avoided his gaze, but I could still feel it, burning into my side. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him reach out to hold my hand before he let it fall to his side. I pretended my heart didn't break a little at that.

"Owen," I mimicked. My voice was playful, but I could tell that Owen wasn't in the mood to play.  I wasn't either

"Farouk doesn't have to know. " Owen pleaded and I rolled my eyes at him. He was just being ridiculous now.

"Don't be stupid, Owen. Doesn't he see all or something?" I groaned, pressing the backs of my hands to my eyes. I was met with silence, and I knew that I was right. Sighing, I let my hands fall to my sides, and I gazed sadly at him. "I want you to come. Trust me, I do. But you can't. "I could visibly see Owen deflate and my heart squeezed. "What you can do, is help me find the preservatives, canned food, and a tent."

Owen heaved out a sigh, and I matched him. This entire thing was just horrible. It was a rotten, knotted mess of who knows what.

"Fine." Then Owen stormed out of my room, and I followed, my heart aching deep into my bones.

We were completely silent as he led me into a room next to the cafeteria. It was grey and dull, with the washed-out wooden cupboards making the room seem dead. I watched as he pulled out handfuls of canned food and packaged goods, his face strained into a frown. It seemed like he struggled to grab each one and place it into my duffle bag, but he still did it. I watched, a sad smile on my face, as he slipped in a couple of Twinkies and other packaged sweets into my bag. He acted like he hadn't, but I saw, and my heart lifted a little bit.

"That's it. There's a tent in the closet of your room." Owen turned towards me but still wouldn't meet my eyes. He rested himself heavily on the counter, his eyes dark and sad.