In Her Heat - Chapter Thirteen

Start from the beginning

I heard him curse under his breath. "Yes, okay? I believe Ashton's father planned to... to kill your parents. Are you happy now?" He sighed heavily.

"No!" I cried, pulling back to look at him. I let him see the weight of the emotions I was experiencing. "Does it look like I'm happy? What am I supposed to do about this? How am I supposed to live by the orders of Damon when I know he never should have been born an heir to the Alpha position? What if I mate with Ashton?" I swung one leg over his thigh and arranged myself so I was straddling him, facing him head on. "What then, Reese? What do I do if I mate with the son of my parents' murderer?!" My last question was punctuated with silence. I could feel the tears snaking down my heated cheeks, leaving a burning trail. "What then?" I asked in a whisper.

Reese's sadness and pain over mine was palpable. It was easily visible in the depths of his eyes, the tense lines of his face. We stared at each other for long moments, my breath harsh in silence of the room. I closed my eyes; I couldn't look into his eyes any longer. In them I saw sadness, pain, confusion - lots of confusion. I felt him rest his forehead against mine, and slide his hands to my lower back.

"I'm sorry." The words were barely a whisper. I felt him speaking more than I heard him, in the soft caress of warm breath that fluttered across my face.

My only warning was the tilt of his forehead against my own before his lips brushed mine once. It was a butterfly kiss, warm and fleeting. Reese's lips stayed lightly brushing mine. "I'm so sorry." The words were a murmur across my lips before he kissed me again, fully this time. A delicious shiver went through my body and I lit up in warmth. I slid my arms to his nape, and held him against my mouth. We kissed forever, it seemed, soft, probing, exploring. When we pulled away, I stalled on opening my eyes.

When I did, Reese was looking into them. "I'm here for you," he told me softly. And I knew he was.

I nodded and rested my head on his shoulder, snuggling into that warm spot between his shoulder and his neck. "I'm tired," I mumbled. And I was. I wanted to sleep; I wanted to escape reality, if only for a few minutes. I wanted to keep myself from comparing this kiss to Cade's.

"You can sleep in my bed." Reese said. I would have protested but I was much too tired to care. He stood up with me still clinging to his neck. I wrapped my legs around his waist and his arms rested underneath my bum. As he walked me to his bedroom, I toed off my moccasins, letting them drop wherever I pleased.

As he set me down on his bed, and tucked the covers around me, I couldn't help but think that I'd been sleeping a lot lately. With a brush of a kiss from Reese across my forehead and a whisper of "Sweet dreams," I melted into a much needed sleep.

***

I woke up unceremoniously to a voice growling, "What the hell is Ainsley doing in your bed?" Oh, please tell me that's not Cade, I moaned to myself. I opened one eye and looked around. The room was dark and I knew night had fallen. Reese stood at the door to the bedroom, his back to me, his stance tense. I could just make out the shape of Cade standing on the other side of the door. I barely resisted groaning out loud.

"What do you think she's doing?" Reese growled back. I couldn't see either of their faces but I knew neither of their expressions would be pleasant.