In Her Heat - Chapter Five

I took a deep breath and shook my head. "No. Tell me everything now."

"So you believe us?" Reese asked softly.

"Yeah. I do."

"Good." He paused before beginning to explain. "People have had wolf blood running through their veins for a very long time. Some more than others. The longer the time, the stronger the bloodline and the stronger the wolf. Your family was a part of the original pack, your ancestors being one of two founders. You're one of the purest, strongest werewolves out there, Ainsley.

"Your mother and your father were the strongest bloodlines, Ainsley. When they married, they knew you would carry the blood of the wolf and you would be probably the strongest werewolf yet. They also knew that this would cause many male werewolves to want to mate with you, either naturally or by force."

"Mate?" I asked.

"Werewolves aren't like humans," said Reese, "We don't pick who we love and marry. Nature does it for us, but it's always our perfect match, if it's done naturally. When a female werewolf goes into her heat, her body's preparing her for her mating. Her body becomes more sensitive and she becomes turned on more easily."

"Basically, she gets really horny." Ashton said bluntly. My cheeks flamed.

"Ash!" Reese protested.

He held out his hands, in a gesture of innocence. "What? It's true. I'm just putting it in simpler words."

"It's fine," I said. "I've heard a lot worse than 'horny', Reese,"

He sighed. "Yeah well, she gets really horny, as Ashton said," Reese went on. "Once she's at the peak of her heat, we have a mating ceremony."

"And that is...?" I asked. They both looked at each other, hesitant to tell me. "I'm not going to like it, am I?"

"No, probably not." Ashton said.

"Just tell me. I'm a big girl. I can handle it."

"It involves public sex," Ashton said. He didn't beat around the bush too much, did he?

"Excuse me?" Did I look like a whore? Did I have a stamp on my head that said 'Two dollar slut?'

"Told you you wouldn't like it," said Ashton.

"Shut up. I'm not doing it."

"Ainsley, you have to do it. It's a part of the mating ceremony."

"Well then I guess I just won't mate."

"Then you'll go insane. Literally."

I arched an eyebrow. "What are you talking about, Reese?"

"The longer you go in your heat without mating, the worse it gets. If you haven't mated at your best time then the heat and the arousal will consume you. You'll go mad with the need to mate. And once that happens, any male werewolf that takes you will become your mate. But you won't belong together, and everything will be off. There will be no connection, no spark, and more often than not, no pups.

Ainsley, you have to understand. There are weres out there that want you because you're so strong and you're very special. They'll do everything in their power to kidnap you and keep you from mating, so that when you're crazy with want, you'll mate with them even though you're not true mates. They'll use you for their own evil needs."

"Why?!" I cried in desperation. "Why do they want me so badly? What's so special about me? I can't even cook!" Was this really my life?

Ashton spoke. "You're a very rare case, Ainsley. No other female werewolf mates in the summer time, because of the natural heat from the sun. Nature made it so that all matings are done in the winter to make it more comfortable for the women."

"So because I'm getting all horny in the summertime I'm special?!"

"It's not just that. There's a prophecy about you."

"Oh, joy." I said dryly.

"There's a power struggle going on in the werewolf. There are different packs all over the country and even all over the world, but there's always a head of all werewolves. The Big Alpha. The Big Alpha's final word is law and he along with his council makes the rules for all werewolves. The prophecy says that when the Big Alpha with no heir dies, there will be a female werewolf in heat in the heat of the summer. Whoever mates with that specific female werewolf will become the Big Alpha. Our Big Alpha just passed away, so everyone's going mad, trying to find this girl."

"Me." I said blandly.

"You. That's why that guy was in your house. He was trying to kidnap you," said Reese.

"And what about you two?" I asked, "How do I know you're not like the rest of them?"

"Because your heart knows. Your wolf knows. She can sense that we're not trying to use you. We want you to mate the natural way. Usually matings happen within a reserve and your parents lived on our reserve. That's where we're taking you. Where you were born. Where you belong."

"Fine. Is that everything?" I asked. My brain was whirling, trying to process this information. I wouldn't be surprised if the smoke detector went off from the smoke my brain was probably producing. I wasn't dumb, but this was enough to send Einstein reeling.

"No, there's more to it. Prophecy says that a war will begin between all weres once the Big Alpha passes away in the heat of the summer. You and your mate will produce a baby boy and a baby girl; twins. It is said that these two will end the wars, bringing peace and bringing riches to their land."

"Damn," I breathed. I was some kind of special then. I closed my eyes and exhaled slowly.

"Are you okay?" Ashton asked me.

"No, I'm not okay, damnit." I snapped, glaring at Ashton and Reese. "I was just told I'm a freaking werewolf. No correction, some freaky rare type. I was always the odd one out, but I never knew I was this much of a special case. I was just informed that I'm supposed to have freaking babies, who will save the whole world. Basically, my whole life has been planned out for me without my consultation!" I stood and began pacing.

"What the hell happened to my damned rights?! That's the only reason I live in this miserable country - because I have a right to do whatever the hell I want with my life. Nature cannot make me do anything! I'm not mating with any freaky werewolf, and I sure as hell, am not having sex with him while a bunch of dirty pervs are watching!

"You sneak into my house and wake me up from the best damned sleep I've had in weeks, rush me out of my house in my freaking bra and your sweatpants, drag me through the forest without even telling me why! And you expect me to be okay with it?!"

I stormed from the living room to the unused bedroom. I slammed the door shut and flopped onto the bed.

"Damn men."

My stomach growled and I remembered I hadn't finished my breakfast. I got off the bed and went back into the living room.

"Are you ready to talk calmly now?" Ashton asked.

I grabbed my plate. "No, I forgot my food." With that I stormed back into the bedroom, slamming the door even harder.

"Dumb werewolves," I muttered. I sighed and ate my now cold breakfast.