Change

The blackness of the void had not yet ceased when I came into consciousness that morning, soon to realize that I was finally without my loving hatchling, Belle. The patch of flesh nearby my body where she used to cuddle felt cold and lightweight, twitching like a cramping muscle.

It was begging for something to press against it. Something soft. Something warm. Something loving and calm...

Something I could no longer give.

I knew that lonesome feeling like none other, like a ghoulish worm tugging at your flesh in despair, invisible to the eye. My body felt empty without her soft warm-blooded body stroking my torso, her soft coos and grunts and that golden radiance sparkling from those twin eyes. Even with the blue raptor besides me -- perhaps there to aide as comfort -- it didn't solve my grief. It just wasn't the same without hearing her make foolish sentences or that toothy laugh of hers, or even those waddled off-balanced trots. Part of me whimpered the desire to go back and rid her from those creatures. But my choice was permanent, and to return her to normalcy was the best decision to save her life. 

You're reckless, my mind told myself the night before as we slept, Immature and dangerous. Your arrogance was only going to kill her in the end. If anything you should be grateful that you gave her away.

Part of me agrees. But how can I believe that my choice wasn't flawed when all she did was heal me? Bring joy to my heart, calm my spirits, offer a sense of...love. Yes...That's what she offered me. That word...

Love? He scoffed darkly, Love isn't your protector, old friend. Love is only a word of the weak, a pitiful excuse of mortals that you seemingly are starting to enjoy. 

If that's what you think so be it, I retorted through a hiss, But her heart is purer than most. And she loved me -

Blah!

- More than you, more than Wu, even more than Blue! Perhaps it was her age that differed from the others of her kind. The adults if you will. She wasn't bred into hatred or taught to consider the world as dark or hideous as it is because all her eyes sought was love. The world is bound to wrong her judgement...and that's what I'm afraid of. I don't want her to change. I don't want her to turn into 'them' and see me as a threat. She did something that I could never imagine...and I love her for that too. 

This is ridiculous, he rasped back, Even for me to watch. I would've put her down.

This is exactly why I won't let you to control me anymore, I snarled back angrily, Not after what you did in Colfax. You're just like him...demanding and making me consider death as a way to fix everything.

T'was the both of us that killed Emma old friend. You simply just played the part. 

I wish I hadn't.

What makes you think that it'll serve any differently even if she stayed? Do you think love will solve your problems Ripper?

I paused and closed my eyes. And yes, I despise the ideas he sent to plague my thoughts, but his word still spoke true, long after I had fought to avoid it. I clamped my jaws together as fatigue over came me, holding back the whimpers for another morning just to escape such a foul question. Alas, I needed to keep the promise to myself to finish this daunting task, that is without anything else falling in my way.

And sadly, that including Belle.

The days following I spoke to Blue about my motives and what I wanted in the end and to my surprise she wanted to join in. Besides, the scientist had ordered mercenaries to shoot her on Isla Nublar before it's destruction, had drained her of her blood to make me alive, and caged her up near explosives during the auction. Well, the last part didn't sound like a purposeful reason, but nonetheless, she had a point. And it did aggravate her as well; she could recall Wu who fled Jurassic World three years earlier because the 'asset out of containment' wasn't his problem.