Chapter Nine.

"Yo yo kiddos!" Nick exclaimed in an enthusiastic tone when all the ten children took their seats at the table. Demi stood next to Nick, waiting to be told what to do.

"Hey Mr. Nick." The kids replied. Some were excited while others looked like they’d rather be anywhere but here at the moment. Their ages ranged from six to nine.

"I’d like you all to say hi to my friend, Demi." Nick said, sending a smile Demi’s way. Seeing his pearly whites, she couldn’t help but smile back at him.

"Hi Demi." The kids said in unison.

"Is she your girlfriend?" One girl, who looked about eight, asked Nick.

A small chuckle escaped Nick. “No.”

"Good." The girl said, pleased. "Because we’re getting married, remember?"

Demi pressed her lips together to keep from bursting out in laughter.

Nick placed a hand on the girl’s shoulder. “Paige, you know you’re my girl.” Nick sincerly said. “In fact,” His face brightened when an idea came to him. He walked over to the cabinet that Demi figured must be where they kept the arts and crafts supplies, since it was covered in feathers, glue, and glitter. Nick looked over his shoulder at Paige, a grin on his face. “Close your eyes.” Paige did as told and Nick opened one of the cabinet doors and started digging for something.

After a few seconds of searching, Nick pulled out two pipe cleaners, a yellow one and a white one. He walked back over to Paige and instructed, “Hold out your left hand.” Paige, with her eyes still shut, lifted her right hand. “Other hand.” Paige switched hands.

"Are you proposing to her?" One chubby little boy asked as he watched Nick drop down to his knees and being making a ‘diamond ring’ out of the pipe cleaners.

Before Paige opened her eyes, Nick quietly laughed, shook his head, and lipped ‘no’. Some of the children laughed. By this time, Paige had opened her eyes and was adoring the pipe cleaner ring.

"There you go." Nick said, standing up. "Alright, can I start the lesson now?" He asked the group of kids.

"No!" The youngins shouted, smiles plastered on their faces.

"Too bad!" Nick shouted back. Laughs escaped the kids. "Everybody brought their Bibles, right?" The children nodded and placed their Bibles on the table. "Awesome, awesome." Nick said, nodding. He looked over at Demi, who appeared to be feeling out of place. He gave her a friendly smile and handed her his already opened Bible. "Here."

"Thanks Pub-" Demi caught herself. "Nick." They smiled at each other. Demi noticed that the kids were looking at her as if she were an alien or something. Paige was giving her a death stare. "You probably should teach now." Demi whispered.

Nick took a quick glance at the kids, waiting for their Sunday school lesson. “You’re probably right.” He whispered back and winked. “Okay,” Nick began. He clapped his hands and turned his attention back to the children. “I know Miss Tish was teaching you guys about King David, but I’m gonna chance it up a bit. Today, we’re gonna talk about God’s love for us. So open up your Bibles to John 3:16.”

Demi’s Bible was already opened to that certain passage, so she watched as the kids did as Nick instructed. Feeling her cell phone vibrate, Demi pulled it out of the purse Nick bought her when they bought the dress. She looked down at the bright screen and saw a new text from Erica.

Hey girl hows church going? :P

Demi quietly laughed and started to text back as Nick and his class read John 3:16 out loud.