Chapter 18

Swan Song - Dua Lipa (love this song)

Chapter 18

Word count: 1285

***

"Did something happen between you and Kai?" Ben asks me the next day in drama lesson. His brown eyes dart between Kai and me with curiosity. I follow his gaze to where Kai is, on the other side of the room. 

I sigh, giving Kai a longing look, despite the fact he won't make eye contact with me. To me, it's starting to feel pretty petty. I just want to explain myself to him but he won't listen. If he will let me explain, everything will be okay again. So why won't he? Why is he being stubborn? Why can't he see I'm sorry? 

I am an idiot, I know that. I suffer from a terrible case of word vomit, meaning I spit out things I don't really mean. My brain just doesn't think. 

"We had..." I pause, pondering on what word is best to describe what happened between us. "A disagreement." I think that's an understatement. 

Ben snorts beside me, shaking his head. "You guys argue 24/7. I think its more than that."

"We don't argue all of the time!" I dispute. 

Ben arches an eyebrow. He doesn't have to say anything, we both know I'm wrong and he's right. But that's our thing, that's what makes Kai and I work so well. 

"Fine," I relent, puffing out a breath. "I did something incredibly stupid that could have ruined everything. He won't talk to me at all now." 

"Have you tried confronting him?" Ben asks. 

I give him a frustrated look, "Of course I have! That was the first thing I tried to do yesterday. He walks away every time and won't look me in the eye. Even now, he refuses to sit with us even though he's supposed to." I glance at Kai, hoping he'll meet my gaze but he's too busy talking to Freya, a pretty blonde. My heart clenches, watching him flirt with her. At least, that's what I assume he's doing. Is it payback? "What do I do?"

Ben shrugs his shoulders, clueless. "I have no clue, I don't really do relationships."

Apparently, neither do I. 

"You're really helpful," I mutter sarcastically. 

Ben raises his hands defensively. "Well, sorry for trying to help." He then rolls his eyes and walks away. My eyes stay on his back until he reaches Kai. As soon as I look at Kai, the air in my lungs seems to disappear. He doesn't look at me though, instead, he starts a conversation with Ben. 

I spend the rest of the lesson alone, pitying myself. Yes, sad I know. 

I meet with Sadie when the lesson ends and listen to her blabber on about a load of nonsense. Sadie eventually notices my quietness--since we all know I'm never quiet for long--and pulls me over. 

"You can't still be thinking about this." Sadie sighs, staring directly into my eyes. 

"I can't stop thinking about it," I admit, distastefully. "I don't understand what is happening."

Sadie pinches her lips together, "I think I do." 

"What?" I immediately ask her, leaping at the opportunity to know. 

"You're lovesick." 

I freeze. Lovesick? Really? That doesn't sound right. I don't love Kai. Sure, I like him. But love...no that's not right. I know what love feels like and I'm positive this is not it. At least, it isn't yet.