"Ready Lexy?" he coaxed, waiting for a response because I'd been so quiet.

"Yup, I'm ready," I replied turning to look at Shannon, who still had no idea what was coming.

"In that case, let's go." Jared put his foot on the gas, burning rubber around the final bend before pulling up at the already open gates.

I reached over and laced my fingers between Shannon's, giving him a quick squeeze.

"Happy birthday," I whispered watching his jaw drop as the scene unfolded in front of him.

"What the hell!" he laughed, stepping out of the truck. It was dusk and the whole house was lit inside and out with lanterns and fairy lights, twinkling against the looming night sky.

Shannon turned to look at me, gesturing at the house and the music which I could hear filtering across from the poolside.

"What's going on?" he grinned, shouting hello to someone I vaguely recognised.

"Well ... you know I was working for Jared," I explained slowly. "And remember the reason I gave? Ummm, I might have told you a tiny lie about the project.

"Jared wanted me to organise your 49th birthday party." I blurted it out, before adding by way of an explanation: "And that's why I've been spending so much time up here, adding the finishing touches for tonight."

I grabbed his hand before he could say anything. "C'mon. Let's go inside and grab a drink. Where's Jared?"

"I'm behind you." I must have jumped at the sound of his voice. "Follow me," he ordered, walking inside where people were standing around, drinking, talking, laughing and dancing.

I shouted above the din. "Jared, take Shannon. I have to find Carrie and Jess and sort out a few things."

I leaned over to give Shannon a quick kiss. "Grab a birthday drink for me will you?" I whispered, before wandering into the crowds in search of my colleagues.

The place was bouncing, and I eventually found Carrie and Jess sat by the pool talking to some Hollywood director and a couple of actors I recognised from films I'd seen back home.

I was desperately trying not to be starstruck but I was struggling big time. Everywhere I looked there was someone famous or glamorous or both.

I waved at Jess and beckoned her over, throwing my arms around her, relieved there was someone I could connect with on a level that wasn't Hollywood A-list.

"So you pulled it off then," she laughed, her face partially lit from the lanterns reflecting off the water.

"This, I'll have you know, has been bloody hard work from beginning to end," I reflected, holding her hand and dragging her inside.

"Let's have a drink before I deal with the caterers." I motioned her towards the bar and grabbed a bottle of water for myself. "What are you having Jess?" I asked.

"White wine, Sauvignon Blanc if they have it. And Lexy? Make it a big one will you," she giggled, pointing at my fizzy water.

"What's with the water Lex? Surely you can allow yourself a little drink to celebrate." She leaned closer. "After all we have a lot of catching up to do, don't we," she smiled, nodding towards Jared, who was talking to a musician friend over in the corner. "Everything OK with your boss?"

I sighed, looking at her and suddenly feeling very tired. "Let me sort out the catering and we'll find somewhere quiet to sit down. Give me 15 minutes OK?" I waved her off with the promise of a drink and catch-up.