Chapter 26

It was dark when Shannon parked up outside the house. The windows were shuttered and the street lights seemed like a distant glimmer, hidden behind a row of trees.

"C'mon. Let's get you showered and cleaned up darling." He placed his arm across my shoulders, drawing me close until our foreheads touched. I gently rubbed my nose against his, feeling at peace for the first time in ages.

"Let's go inside then," I said, pushing open the car door, feeling the cool evening breeze sweeping up from the valley.

The shower was much needed I have to say. Shannon followed me, guiding me inside with his hand on the small of my back. He allowed my body to relax into the warmth before massaging gel into my scalp and gently running his fingers through my hair while rinsing out the bubbles.

When he finished, I rested my head back on to his shoulders, while his arms wrapped around my front, caressing the soft skin of my tummy.

All tension, butterflies and aches were washed away, leaving behind a deepening pool of emotion that threatened to swallow me whole.

I realised I was falling in love, something that terrified me and comforted me in equal measures.

My family life had left me wary of forming any permanent bonds. I'd lost too many of the people I loved. I couldn't face any more heartache.

But now I realised I was at a crossroads. Ever since meeting Shannon.

His voice brought me back to the present. "Let's get you out of the shower before we both shrivel up in here." He laughed, obviously aware I'd drifted away for a moment. If only he knew what I'd been thinking.

He turned off the water and grabbed a soft towel, drying every inch of my body, taking care to avoid any sore patches.

I tied my hair into a bun and let out a huge sigh.

"Hey babe, what's up?"

Shannon looked concerned and I just giggled, aware of how ridiculous it must have sounded.

"I'm sorry. That sigh just came out all wrong. It'a just been one helluva day Shan." I think he knew what I meant as I pulled on my bottom lip, avoiding eye contact.

"Lexy come here." He stood up, towel wrapped around his waist as droplets of water of worked their way down his chest.

"Is this about the three of us, or about us two? We're good together Lexy aren't we?"

Was that question aimed at me and Shan – or was Jared included?

I breathed deeply. "We're all good Shan. It's just been a very long day and I have to go over Jared's house for a couple of hours to sort out some last-minute arrangements."

"I thought he'd given you the whole day off?"

"Yeah, day! This is now the evening and it would seem I'm needed at his place."

I picked up my phone, clicking on the message he'd sent just minutes ago. That probably contributed to the sigh that had escaped my lips just moments ago.

I just hoped that in my absence Jared and Emma has made progress on the final details needed for tomorrow's party.

"Will you be back tonight or are you going home after Jared's?" Shannon watched me, while towelling himself dry. It's not a sight I was getting tired of and he could see me eyeing up his muscled torso.

I smiled before pressing my lips to the corner of his mouth. "And not wake up with you on your birthday? You have to be kidding. Of course I'll be back. Give me a couple of hours with your brother. I'll call when we're done."