6.) Wishing Death

Mulai dari awal

"Us... becoming friends."

King chuckled softly, "Now you wanna talk to me?" He cracked and she laughed softly.

"Only if you want to," she coyly smiled, trying not to scratch at her cuts.

Noticing her fidgeting, King reached inside his pocket and pulled out a few bandaids, "Here."

Looking at him then the bandaids her brows furrowed in wonderment.

"I... saw," He kept it brief.

"Oh... thanks," she awkwardly took the bandaids. "You carry these on you?"

"Most tha' time, my niggas clumsy," he said and they shared a laugh. "How long have you been doing dat?" He nodded towards her cuts.

"You don't wanna know," She murmured after putting the last bandage on.

"Try me," He replied, zipping his coat up.

"Since I was eight..."

There was an eerie silence before King spoke, "How old are you again?"

"Nineteen."

"You've been doing dat for almost eleven years?" He began to feel bad for her.

"Mm-hmm," she cleared her throat as she wiped the corner of her eyes.

"Does your mom know?"

"She can't tell because of my tattoos... she doesn't pay attention to me either, so... I'm surprised you noticed." She replied.

"I'm an observer... blessing and a curse, at times," he chuckled.

Renae remained quiet and stared down at her shoes.

"What were you writing?" He decided to change the subject.

"N—nothing."

"Seemed pretty serious to me," he said.

"It's nothing," she mumbled.

Deciding to leave it alone King pulled out his phone to check the time, it was going on 5:30. "Are you working today?" He questioned, standing.

"I got fired," she answered then laughed.

"Huh?" His brows creased, "So why are you here?"

"Can't tell my mom I got fired... she's dealing with enough as is," leaning back, she tilted her head up and exhaled.

"You've been hanging out where you got fired from? What in tha' hell?" This was unusual for King but he wouldn't say it was unheard of.

Renae chuckled, "They have good books... plus it's in walking distance to the bus stop." She added before standing.

"Fuck dem having good books, there's like three other libraries 'round here, what you get fired for?"

"I didn't show up yesterday... so they fired me when I came in today."

"Damn," he shook his head, "Why you ain't show up?" He asked and she nodded towards her arms.