0.3

"So your friend is out, what do you want to do now?" Jimin voices out the evident question that lingered in both their minds

He tilts his head skywards; it still sits moonless, washed stubbornly in a uniform grey, and despite the countless illuminated lights, there was a hanging darkness above them.

"Doesn't matter," Jimin feels Kyara's shoulders shrug against his arm, making him flicker his gaze towards her as they walk aimlessly away from the Theatre District, down an avenue lined charcoal silhouetted trees, naked from winter's rasp, "it was over when I missed that train."

"What was over?"

"My future," The girl sighs, weary and resigned, "my relationship with my family," the sigh doesn't signal resolve, instead it held the weight of her tension, "I had to be back before they find out."

"They don't know you're in New York?" Jimin's jumps curiously to the first conclusion he can think of.

"No it's— it's complicated."

"I can understand that."

Kyara narrow hers eyes as they fall confused on the boy's face, "What do you mean?"

"Well," upon hearing tone become slightly more stern, Jimin warns himself to remain cautious with his words as he begins with his judgement, holding her gaze, "you sort of ran away from home didn't you? Your parents don't know you're here for an audition, and I'm guessing you didn't get the part. It's tough, I feel you."

"I didn't get the part because of the incompetent directors at Juilliard." She suddenly snaps, with her voice rising and her feet come to a halt on her tracks, "I was barely given a chance, it was beyond inequitable! Discriminate even!"

Jimin stands, aware that she's smoldered underneath her stony utterance while she apportions blame on the wrong place. Filling his lungs with a deep breathe, he feels as though even the cold wind slackens for a moment, as he braces himself for a blow.

"I think you're overreacting there," he speaks calm, yet bluntly, "Juilliard awards opportunities for talent, I'm not saying you're untalented, but there may have been someone better."

Kyara scoffs, shaking her head unbelievably and furrowing her brows at him, "Why are you defending them?"

"Because I'm in the show business too, been rejected from a good dozen auditions by now." Jimin knows that her feelings will ebb, just as his did too, so he carefully presses on, "Plus, I'm a student at Juilliard, I know how it all works. There's always other chances," He pauses for a moment, letting a heartbeat pass before adding, "I'm sorry about today."

"Okay," a scornful smirk forms on the violinist's face, "the last thing I need is your pity—" She starts, as if she had a fuse, that was simmering and fizzled like a firework in the chill breeze. 

"I wasn't trying to—" Jimin tries to interject.

And that was all she needed to explode, "No look, thank you for your help but it's over, you can go back to whatever you were doing before I came along and ruined your night." The words fall out of the girl's mouth with a hint of hesitation and guilt that Jimin is nimble to notice as she marches away.