Chapter 24: The siege

Beginne am Anfang

She laughed. "Don't worry you will, I know girls as young as 9 who have started menstruating"

I became worried "is it compulsory?"

"Of course it is, every girl must do it except she doesn't want to give birth" she noticed my countenance was down and tried to cheer me up "Don't worry you will, its natural. When you do let me know so I can put you through".

I forced a  smile and nodded. But up until later that night I still had it in mind. My friends noticed my mood and came to meet me.

" what's wrong with you?" Fathia asks sitting beside me while trying to sort out her clothes for the night event.

"Have you started menstruating?" I asked suddenly. She looked at me briefly "Yes I have" she pulled out a red satin mini gown. "Should I wear this one?"

"Ehn?" I looked at the gown in her hand before it hit me. "What event did Ogechi pick for us tonight?"

"Drama, so should I wear it?"

I ignored her and faced suliat who was also looking for her clothes. "I totally forgot about rehearsals. What did snr Ogechi say about me?"

"Don't worry we covered for you, told her you were with snr Wura and she said nothing. So I guess she has forgiven you"

"Maybe I should go and see her" I got up and jumped over fathia's box. Turned back and pointed to fathia's dress. "That dress is the bomb, wear a black leggings on it" she smiled while I zoomed out looking for snr Ogechi.

She was in the midst of other seniors in a kind of meeting. Their conversation stopped as soon as they sighted me coming. I was suspicious but I decided to ignore it. They glared at me till I got to where they were.

"Snr Ogechi please can i see you for some minutes?" I asked politely. All of a sudden Snr Nifemi stood up from where she is and came in between us.

"So for your mind now, because be school daughter to our senior you feel say you don get liver" she ranted in pidgin. I swallowed and stepped backwards a bit.

She continued " Not only do you flout instructions now, you disobey your seniors. You see this gathering... " she pointed at all of them. I looked at them but the hate in their eyes made me look down. "We are having a meeting about you and we have come to the conclusion on what your punishment will be."

Snr Ogechi cut in crossing her arms "This is our territory and you have to obey us". I began to shiver inwardly.

" You won't be punished for not coming to rehearsals tonight. But I dare you to make a single mistake and you are a goner." Snr Tosin chipped in emphasizing with the tip of her fingers touching.

"Now leave our sight"

I didn't think twice before I ran. I knew I was in big trouble this time. My confidence has eventually led me into a pit. I sped past fathia and Suliat talking and laid on my bed facing the wall.

"What's wrong?" They rushed over to me. I sat up and explained the situation to them.

"This is bad" Fathia said.

"I don't know what to we..." Princess came in stopping mid sentence when she saw the mood on our faces. "What happened"

"The seniors threatened her" suliat explained.

She sat down "wow, that's serious" she moved closer to me and whispered "Why not tell snr Wura"

Suliat shoved her gently "No that's a bad idea, that would worsen things. Do you want senior wars because of a junior?" 

"You just have to be careful from now on okay?" Fathia said pulling me close.

I nodded and sighed. The bell rang for social night and snr Ogechi came in to chase us out. "I believe you can hear the bell, out everybody now!"

"Let's go" Suliat said getting up. We all stood up and moved towards the door.

"Don't worry, you can join the dancers when we are all coming out to dance at the party" Fathia said.

"There is a party?" I asked

Suliat laughed "No, not a party. Its a scene in the drama"

I laughed at my ignorance "oh, I didn't know".

Everyone was gathered at the front of the hostel and the program began. We sat down at the back and watched as each house presented what they had chosen. It was the turn of senior Nifemis house to present. They all came out to perform a choreography. The way snr Nifemi wriggled her waist made me laugh and I didn't realize when I laughed out drawing peoples attention.

I quickly looked down and got up " I want to go and urinate" I said to no one in particular before hurrying to the bathroom.  I leaned on the wall and sighed before bending to urinate. I remembered my conversation with snr Wura and checked my urine to see if I was urinating blood but it was still urine. I sighed and got up. I looked forward to the day I will eventually urinate blood instead of urine so I could be called a teenager eventually.

I went back to Join others. It was our turn for the presentation, I went to join others as we danced on stage. It went on some minutes and ended in applaude. We did other games for that night before the bell rang for us to retreat. Yellow house was announced the best presentation for the night and the rest of us went to our rooms to have our bathes and prepare for bed.

We went to fetch water and queued for our turn when snr Wura cane to bid me goodnight. She stopped all other juniors and told me and my friends to fetch water. We were so happy. I hugged her and went back to meet my friends who kept on thanking me. We went to have our bathes but I waited for them to leave first and kept delaying by brushing and using the  toilet first till they left. When the bathroom was empty I began to have my bathe. I heard the bell then signalling 30 minutes to light out.

I bent down once more to urinate. I closed my eyes before letting it out. I then opened my eyes a bit to look at my urine again. I opened my eyes and sighed dejectedly, no blood. I took my bathe and washed my genitals properly and checked it again but there was nothing. I sighed and got up.

I turned back and saw snr Nifemi waiting for me leaning against the wall. I froze. What have I done this time?

She stood up straight and walked up to me. "You had the audacity to laugh at me right?"

I stepped back "no I didn't"

"Then what were you laughing at?" She asked

"Nothing, my friend said something funny" I raised my hands in defence.

"Then why was I told you called me a fat pig?"

I bulged my eyes in shock "what? I said no such thing" I defended myself.

"So I am lying?"

"No, who said such. I didn't" my voice began to increase in anger.

"I do not care for what you think, report to my room" she turned back and left. I began to fume. I took my towel and my toiletries and went to my room. Who could have accused me of such?

"What happened again?" Fathia said as I threw my bucket on the floor. The room was quiet now as everyone looked at me for  my response.

"Ruth come to blue house room now". Snr Ogechi announced.

I dropped my towel and changed into my house check as my friends looked on. I went outside and stepped into the room and saw all the seniors sitting down waiting for me.

My heart began to beat. It is finished.