Chapter 18: A new breeze

I watched in awe as a coffin was brought to rest on the table in front of the congregation. I looked at my siblings but none of them looked back. We were still lost in the magnitude of the event. I looked around me at the women who were crying and the men dabbing their eyes. A particular woman was wailing as shouting to whoever cares to hear how unfair the world is.

"Praise the Lord" the voice of the pastor pulled my attention away from the woman's drama and I listened attentively to his speech. He had a way of convincing people about the positive side of death but it seemed to make the people cry more. A faint sob distracted me and I looked at where it came from. Dara held onto her mum as she sobbed onto her laps.

Her mum seemed to be consoling her as she patted her back and mouthed some words to her. I looked at Martin and tried to capture his gaze to speak with him but he seemed to be lost in his own world. Kingsley also had his attention on the woman from before who had already began pacing. I wanted to know how the situation was affecting either of them but it seemed this isn't the time.

The congregation stood up and began lining up to look into the coffin. I wondered what could be so special that made everyone gasp or sob more the instant they looked into it. The coffin looked beautiful and I wondered.   Was it full of treasures ?  Why are they crying then ?  Is it too beautiful to behold ?

My step-mom jarred me from behind bringing me to my feet. It was our turn. As we walked past, people began to shake their heads and say soothing words.

"God will take care of you". One woman said coming to pull us into a hug. What is she saying ? Of course, God takes care of us before. I wriggled myself out of her lasting embrace as it began to get awkward but she pulled me back in and began praying. I became uncomfortable as I held my breath as my nose was squashed under her armpit.  I began to regret pulling away at first. This unpleasant odor is really a punishment.

I gasped for air as my step-mom pulled us away from her. "People are waiting ma".

"oh sorry, sorry" she released us patting our head one more time before leaving. I could so hug my step-mom right now. I thought I was going to die. My other siblings, the other children my dad had joined us in the queue as we proceeded,each child with his or her mother.  Like us they were also gloomy and clueless. The crying seemed to dull our spirits, and we could only blend in to the situation.

The closer we got to the coffin, the more beautiful the coffin looked to me. It was made of whit and gold corals and it's beauty captivated me. I'm sure the treasures in it must be as beautiful as its outside. The boys were in the lead and I looked at Martins face to see his expression, maybe he could hint me before it got to my turn. Martin's climbed a stool provided for us and looked into it.

His face seemed to freeze and then he looked frightened as he looked back up at his mum who pulled him away. The same expression was on the rest of my siblings face making me wonder. Dara busted into tears when she looked in and shouted "Daddy !!! ". I became confused. She held on to the coffin as they tried to pry her away from it.  As if her tears were a reminder, the whole congregation began to wail again.

Daddy ?  Why will my daddy be inside ? They said he has gone to heaven. Why is he inside this beautiful treasure chest ?

My legs became heavy as I moved closer. I wondered what my own expression will be.  Will my daddy get up and beat me ?  The woman behind me nudged me.  "Go on". I looked up at her. She was a church member 
Is this woman okay ?  Why is she pushing me ?  I stepped out of the line for her to move forward but she wasn't having it. She held my shoulder and pulled me back into the line.

"Where do you think you are going ? " she nudged me forward "Move". I dragged my feet slowly till I got to the coffin.  I climbed the stool closing my eyes before slowly opening my eyes. My breathe ceased as I looked at my dad's lifeless face. His face was so clean and looked so white. He had cotton stuck into his nostrils. I swallowed as I looked at him. He looked so weak and powerless. I felt my body in the air and didn't know I was carried yet until my feet touched the ground and I staggered to balance myself.