Chapter 20: Freedom walk

I watched as the last of my bag was put in the boot and shut by Mr Kunle. I looked around one more time at the house and finally at my siblings who were tearing up now except Martin who tried to be brave and wiped his eyes. I would miss  the fun times we all had together, especially during this last one month wait.  I would most especially miss my hair. In preparation for the school my step mum had styled our hair with relaxer which angered mama and made her cut it low.  But i wouldn't deny the ease I felt when water touched my scalp.  The event of the previous week flashed through my mind as my eyes met with Martins'.

I could tell he was also grateful for the narrow escape we both had. We had been deathly scared that night when my uncle walked in on both of us. We followed him out of the house quietly not looking at each other till we got to his place. He let us in and sat on the bed before gesturing us towards him.

"What were you both doing?" He finally asked when we were 5 inches closer to him.
I looked down ignoring his gaze so I wouldn't have to answer that question. Martin didn't either and that made him angry.

He stood up "Let's go and wake mummy then".  I flung my head up and quickly held him back.

" I'll talk please,I'll talk" Martin was also holding on to his second leg with all the strength he could muster.

My uncle sighed and came back to sit "I'm listening".

" I...I...we..were just playing " I finally said looking up at him and twisting my fingers nervously.

"Playing? What sort of play is that?" He looked at Martin "Is she right? What sort of play were you both doing involving kissing?". He began to shake and moved a bit away from me avoiding my look. Was he that stupid to think I really played dead. I sighed Men!

He shook his head and couldn't find the courage to say anything.

" Don't make me stand up again. And this time I won't be stopped".

He couldn't take it again and burst out in tears "I'm sorry, I'm really sorry. I won't do it again"

I didn't realize my mouth was open in awe until my uncle spoke to me. "Did you consent to it?"

I closed  my mouth and swallowed. I could feel sweat trickling down my temple even though the air was cool that night. "We were only just playing a game" I defended.

"Now listen to me both of you" He pointed towards and pulled his ear to send home his seriousness. "The next time such a thin happens between you two, I will not only report you but I will tear your skin up with blade. Am I clear?"

We both nodded rapidly, glad to be given a warning instead. We left his room that night not talking to each other and even avoided each other for the week.

"Get into the car both of you!" I quickly brought myself back to the moment as Dara and I hurried into the car. I closed the door but was obstructed by Martin who ran in between it stopping me. I looked up in surprise.

"Take care both of you" He said quickly before running back as fast as he came. Dara smiled at me. We both knelt down on the seat looking through the back screen and waving at them as the car began to move.

"Will you sit down now? We have left the house" My step mum chided us and we sat down quietly. It all still looked like a dream to me and I was careful to show my excitement so my step mum wouldn't change her mind. We were both going to a new school and I had to repeat Jss1 again. A reason I knew not of. Dara and I were going to be in the same class once more.

I smiled to myself, as long as I wasn't in that house anymore,things were sure going to be different. I began to imagine several friends I was going to make and fun I was going to have till I drifted off into sleep.