Chapter 10: Shocker

The children's department in Church was in
different stages and I was in the intermediary class along with Dara and Kingsley because we are one year apart. We had one more stage to go before getting to the senior class. From the senior class, we have access to the main church and joking the choir. Asides from the teachings and children activities we do, the children department wasn't so much fun for so many reasons.

The five of us were always so used to our company and had no idea on how to relate with the others. We were always referred to as slowpokes and to be honest they were right. All we did was just sit down and watch others play, we hardly talked nor interacted. Not because we couldn't but they mostly spoke in the local language, Yoruba which we hardly understood. Rather than being embarrassed we chose to just sit and watch. We were used to being referred to as ajebutters(spoilt kids)  by the adults and we didn't mind since we knew not what it meant.

The boys however got over it after some time and mingled speaking the English they knew and it was fun watching some of them trying to understand them and responding in distasteful English. Dara and I however had a problem of our own which always brought us closer during church periods. We were just seven in my class with 2 boys and 5 girls including us. The girls however were saucy and kept to their own clique.

This clique was one I envied though.  It was a group of three girls with one slim and chatty one as their leader.  She gave orders at her whim in which the other two follow. She was very pretty and knew what the latest fashion was. They were always either talking about boys or fashion in a way that seemed eerie to me. They were a year older than us and saw us as children and they made us know that.

"My mum has bought my dress for children anniversary already, it has flowers all over" Kemi who was their leader began to say. Jane, the dark and short one began to say when they got distracted by something. Dunni, poked her and pointed towards the door. I followed their gaze and saw what they were looking at.

Unconsciously I comported myself brushed my hair with my hands smoothening it out. My worries forgotten for the moment, I sat up straight.  Ola walked in looking radiant as usual. He was the only boy in my class and a very handsome one at that. I couldn't quite explain it but I always felt a need to act right in front of him. He always acted like there was something wrong with us and didn't really talk with us as he did with others but I still wanted to be perfect.

"Ola how are you? " Kemi said getting up to meet him . "Come and sit wit us" she pulled him to where she and her girls were sitting.  I scowled and slumped my shoulder.  I looked at Dara, she cared less about what was going on. At least she had her own boyfriend.  She was always quiet in Church and was always the first to go into the car after service. Ola looked back at us then "Ruth, Dara, Martin how are you? ". My tongue was tied as I simply nodded at him. He looked at us queerly before turning back to discuss with the girls. I sighed. I just don't know how  to converse with him. They were laughing at a joke he said before Kemi turned to us "Is it true?  Your mummy will beat you if you talk?"

I was hot, to me she is a big competition and rival for me and wouldn't let her make me feel small. I tried to respond and defend myself, Ola looked at me and the words got stuck in my throat again.  I resigned and looked down at my feet.

"It's because you are mean that's why we won't talk to you". I looked up at Martin and he smiled at me.  I thanked him inwardly just then. I hadn't spoke to him since the morning incident and I knew he wanted that past us also. Kemi looked at him and snorted before turning back. Ola stood up and came to meet us. He stretched out his hand. "Sorry for being mean.  Truce? ". I looked up at him in shock until Martin hit me.

"yes" I murmured taking his hand in mine. I withdrew my hand just as quickly as if I was burnt. I smiled as he sat with us ignoring the glare from the girls in front. "Do you talk much? " he asked after some seconds of sitting in silence.