Dari Cross

I woke suddenly as thunder shook my bed. I felt the vibrations shift the old house. White light flashed across the night sky. Looking around, I noticed the eerie feeling of dread. Something wasn't right. I slowly roled out of bed and dressed. With my senses alert, I crept down stairs. I moved around the parts of the stairs that squeaked and paused as I got to the bottom. This bad feeling of mine, ive had since I could remember. I could tell when something wasn't right. Many people have tried to prank me at my school but none have succeeded. Hopefully, my senses were messing with me.  

My hopes were feable, I was never wrong. I make my way toward the kitchen and slowly peak around the corner. Before I get a glimpse of the room, three gun shots fire. I turn and run in the direction of the noise. They were in the living room. I clutch the wall and hear the shooter leave through the back way, probably looking for me. I peak around the corner and rush over to my mom. She lay there, bloodied and dying. "Mom?" I whisper harshly, tears streaming from my eyes.  

She was gone. I felt no pulse. I sit beside her and shake with silent tears. I didn't care about the shooter, he could kill me if he wanted too, I didn't care. I grip her lifeless hand, begging her to come back to me. In her hand I feel the coolness of her necklace. The one she always wore. She must have want to give it to me. Fresh tears pile onto my cheeks. More gun shots are fired. I look around, why would the shooter be shooting, unless...  

I'm frightened now, more than I was before. Some one else was here. I stand silently, and head toward the door. With a last look at my mother I crack open the door and survey the landscape. Its dark. Thunder clouds cover the sky. The first drops of rain pour heavily on the ground. I put on my boots and run. I live some nine miles in every direction from the nearest city. So that means I was walking for a long time. My jacket prevents some of the rain, but some cold droplets find their way in. I'm shivering as I run blindly through the forest. Lightning flashes. Thunder claps, seconds later. I stop, when my body screams for rest. My heart throbs painfully in my chest as the icey rain pours. By now my skin soaked, don't even mention my dripping hair.  

I slowly regain my breath when I hear him. Some one crashing the the woods, pursuing me. I start sprinting again. I can barely control my legs as they flop around trying to move. I cant see clearly. I suddenly trip on a root, falling into the soggy ground. Before I can regain my footing he's on top of me. I face him. "I'm not going to hurt you," He says calmly.  

I frantically shove myself away from him. "Get away from me!"  

He pins my arms to the muddy leaves. Roling up my jacket sleeve, he glances at my forearm. He looks back at me, "Dari. I'm going to help you," 

"How do you know me?" I ask, frightened of him.  

He ignores my question. "That was an assassin, but there will be more. We need to keep moving so they wont find us," 

"We?! I don't even know you...let alone...you know stranger danger? I'm not going with you so you can kidnap me. For all I know you set this all up!"  

By now I was screaming. He frowns at me,"We don't have time for this, I'm sorry about your mom, but we need to go," he hesitates, "I'm sorry that I have to do this,"  

Before I can utter a word, he presses his thumb on my forearm. Everything goes dark in a matter of seconds.

This is my first story. Please feel free to comment and let me know your opinions. Hope you guys enjoy!