Rehab

First day of summer, and here I sit. Sweatshirt and pants, all bundled up in my comforter on my bed. It shouldn't hurt this bad. Nothing should ever hurt this bad. The only thing that beat this pain was my past break up. The one relationship that tore into my heart.

But it did. It ached from the inside out. Every song that came on the radio, every text that came to my phone, though it was never him, I wished it was. I had stopped talking to everyone. I needed time to myself to relax and heal.

But unfortunately for me, Mel had different plans.

"Get dressed." She threw a bathing suit on my bed, plopping down on my vanity bench.

"No. I want to be a pale vicious vampire. Go away." I buried myself farther into the cocoon of warmth.

"Um, too bad. Get. Up. This is pathetic and gross. You're a beautiful blonde who is already unhealthily pale. We’re going to the beach. Now get dressed."

"Make me." I eyed Mel carefully, I have no doubt my bestfriend would totally make me.

"I will strip you down. Now go."

"It's so bright Mel." I whined, smearing on another layer of sunscreen.

"You need it." She snatched the baseball cap from my head and threw it in the backseat.

I stared out the window, watching all the guys as we passed. All of them dripping wet from swimming in the ocean.

Swimming.

Ugh. Bryson... Why did it have to be him? Why him?

"Stop pouting. Time for sun. Sun, volleyball, surfing, and boys. Got me?"  She pulled into a parking space, barely avoiding a couple walking by.

“Mel…” I bit into my lip, looking at the kids scattered across the sand.

“Honey, if you don’t do this now, you never will. Please trust me. You can do this.” She squeezed my hand and I felt her strength surge through me.

“I can do this.” I smiled back at her before jumping out of her Hummer, the sand squishing between my bare toes.

“That’s my girl!” Mel shouted, grabbing our bags.

I followed her, the sun beating on my skin, the sand warming my feet, my soul feeling lighter.

We hit the water, played a round or two of volleyball, and sprawled out on two beach chairs, soaking up what sun we could get.

Ready or not, here I come. Where you at the night is young in the crowd the music's loud but I will find you ready or not here I come I like your face do you like my song? Just sing it! La la la la la la! I will find you! Ready or not!

A radio nearby blasted out music, making me smile.

Who needs boys?

“So El,” Mel rolled over to face me, “I sort of got invited to a party tonight and I know drinking isn’t your thing, so if you want me to drop you-“

“No. I want to go.” Did I just say that?

“You’re sure?” Her devilish smile played on her lips.

“Yes. I want to go.”

Sitting awkwardly in the corner of some random stranger’s living room, I started realizing why I never went to parties. I was an awkward duck.

I was surrounded by horny, drunk teenagers dancing on each other and making out in every possible spot they could find.

“Disgusting.” I spat, quickly removing myself from the germ infested chair I had sat in practically all night.

“Ellie!” Mel suddenly reappeared, beer in hand, smiling as she swayed with the music.

“I’m going to go home Mel. This just isn’t my style.” I held out my hand for my cell phone which she stole from me earlier in attempt to get me to socialize.

“No way, you are such a party Ninny!” She placed the half empty beer cup into my hand, and ran off into the opposite direction, leaving me stranded.

“I HATE YOU!” I hollered after her, drunkards stared at me in confusion before continuing their grinding sessions.

“I thought you didn’t drink?”

My heart fluttered. No, my heart about flew out of my chest.

No. NO!!! NO NO NO!!!

I turned to face him, my face red, heart pounding wildly.

“I don’t.” I stated, a solid smirk etched into my face.

“Wow, I actually get a response. I never thought you’d talk to me again.” His face contorted into an amused form of smirk, his hazel brown eyes burning into mine.

“You are very, very correct.” I rolled my eyes, turned on my heel, and stalked off.

My heart was still racing, tears pricking my eyes, and hands shaking violently. Luke never came to parties… He should never have been here. He shouldn’t be talking to me. He should be far away in his own little popular world, with his own little friends. Ignoring me, like always. I ignore him, he ignores me. We exist in peace.

“Ellie,” a firm but gentle grip of my elbow turned me around, “Seriously, you can’t run from everything. Can’t we just talk?”

“No.” I hissed, jerking from his grip.

“Please, Ellie, I want to fix this.” His voice was steady, he towered over me, his sandy brown hair hanging just above his eyes in a side swish, his dimples prominent when he talked.

“You broke me. How on earth do you plan to fix that? I’m not one of your little junk cars. You broke me, left me, and ignored me. Please, keep doing just that.” I could feel the hatred rising in my voice, how dare he confront me.

“I’ve been trying to talk to you for the past two weeks. You know that!” He boomed, but I didn’t cower down.

“Obviously, I don’t feel like talking.” I said matter-of-factly, sneering up at him, his eyes starting to pick away at my rough exterior.

He still had murderous effects on me. There was no denying it.

“Well, I do.” He tucked a piece of hair behind my ear, my heart beating at my chest in a warning.

He’s up to no good Elle.

“Can’t we please, just talk?” His eyes bore into mine.

I bit into my lip, “I guess.” And with that, I turned the glass bottoms up, and swallowed it all without pausing.

“Holy hell.” Luke laughed, running a hand through his hair.

“Well, considering what you’re about to put me through. I might need it.”