FOUR- Details and Disagreements

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, keep saying that." I snarked. "Where's your fuckin' proof, Lukas?"

The blond man turned to look ahead again, still scowling. "He's my boyfriend, and I love him." he said through gritted teeth.

"I said proof. Give me some logic, not emotions."

"Okay, how 'bout this? It's been seven fucking years, and people have the goddamn ability to change?" he retorted.

My only response was another disdainful huff. I knew I was edging into jerk territory, but I was a little too pissed-off to care too deeply. Lukas was misinterpreting what I meant. Yes, Aiden had caused a lot of trouble for Sky City, but that wasn't it. Even before that, he'd always been a problem. I'd never seen him do anything even remotely nice, and this change made me deeply suspicious. I was afraid that Lukas was letting his heart get in the way of his common sense, but I didn't know how to say it.

We went back to travelling in silence, at least for a few minutes. Until I finally said, "I don't think you really love Aiden."

"What the hell do you- why do you think you know about this?" he stammered, voice radiating anger.

"I'm not claiming to know anything; I'm just saying that he's a dick. And you know he's a dick, he's always been one. So sure, I don't know shit about whatever weird relationship you two have now, but I know that he spent years reveling in the fact that he is the dickiest person I have ever-"

"That's not a word. Also, please stop saying 'dick'."

"I think you're missing my point."

"And I think that if I am missing it, that's because it's apparently getting buried in profanity."

"Fucking god, Lukas, it's because I can't even think about your dick-of-a new boyfriend without getting mad. My point is, until I get an actual reason to believe that he's not here to somehow fuck things up again, I don't wanna deal with him! Or any aspect of your convoluted fucking love life, for that matter!"

"You are practically impossible to talk to, you know that?"

"I just don't trust him, and I'm not sure why you do. He tried to kill you too, remember?"

Lukas's expression turned to something sadder, a little more desperate. "Seven years ago, Jess. I'm telling you, he's changed so much. What happened to your policy of giving people second chances? I mean, seriously. You'll trust Romeo, but not Aiden?"

I jabbed a finger at him. "I am not trusting Romeo. Did you notice how soon I sent him down to the Underneath? No. I wouldn't trust that man to hold an iron ingot. And I don't trust Aiden not to do something to you."

"Do something to me. Like what?" Lukas scoffed.

"Oh, I dunno. Mess with your emotions and break your heart?" I snapped back. "You don't really need that to happen again, do you?"

Lukas's entire body went visibly rigid, and he returned to looking directly forward, his mouth set in a firm line. I knew full well that I'd just crossed a barrier, but at the moment I didn't really care.

What made that particular blow so underhanded was that I didn't fully know what I even was talking about.
All I knew was, something had happened between Lukas and Petra. I wasn't sure if they were actually dating or not, but a few months before, both of them had entirely freaked out, at exactly the same time.

That was when Petra had started staying away from Beacontown more, and probably when she got mixed up with Stella and Champion City. That was when Lukas had really become a hermit, spending nearly all his time in his little house by the woods.
That was when they'd both started finding excuses not to be around the other.