chapter thirty-one

the   double   wish
of      knight
and      devil

your p.o.v

Hissing beside me, I reached over and flicked at the back of the black cat's ear for the third time this morning since I came out here to compose. "Kuppuru, I don't care how much those idiots are glaring at me, that does not give you the right to stoop to their level and hiss at them back." I sighed.

Early this morning around six, I found myself lying wide awake in bed and unable to fall back asleep. There's just so much I have to get done in such a short amount of time and it feels like no matter how long I work on these compositions, I'm making no progress at all! I can't risk failing when my friends are depending on me and soon Quartet Night as well so I have to keep pushing myself to work harder for them. That's why I came out here to sit on the docks in the first place.

Near the far left end of the beach a little out from the resort, there's a long dock that extends a solid fifty feet or so out from the sand and overlooks the wide expanse of crystal blue ocean water. With it being nice and warm early in the morning, I thought it would be a good time to come out and get some composing done while also enjoying the view only Okinawa can produce. Though I guess some of the other students had the same idea since a couple of them are out relaxing on the beach, glaring at me as they do so while I try to work in peace.

Kuppuru wandered over not long after I initially sat down and began composing, my legs dangling over the edge of the dock a good five feet or so above the water's surface. He went ahead and planted himself down right beside me, never once moving from where he sits even as he hisses at the other students who glare at me from afar on the beach. Kuppuru is one strange cat... Well, at least he's come out to keep me company while I once again start a new idea for Ren and Masato's duet song.

This song is killing me right now and I don't know why. I was so confident going into this project that writing for Ren and Masato would be a breeze- but wow was I wrong. There's nothing blatantly difficult about writing for them together, but, I think it's because how they feel towards each other right now is such a mess that it's throwing me off as well.

When I write my songs, I write it with the singer's emotions in mind; whatever it is they're wanting to convey, I'll help them by making a composition with the right feel. And then there's Ren and Masato who are in two very different places emotionally as of right now and I don't know how to write a song for them together where they somehow have to connect their hearts and sing together flawlessly.

It's impossible, and yet, I have to make it happen somehow.

Sighing, I picked my laptop up off my lap and placed it down onto the dock behind me, making sure to keep it far from the woods edge so it has little to no chance of falling into the shimmering water down below. I don't know what I would do if I lost this laptop. It's all I have left of her after all so no matter what, I can't let anything happen to it.

"___!"

I glanced over my shoulder at the warm voice. "Haruka! I was wondering if you were ever going to come down here." I said, beckoning her over to come and sit beside me on the dock.

Just as I was stepping out of the elevator earlier this morning, Haruka was about to go up to her room with a large plate stacked high with breakfast items. Tomo-chan snuck into her room again and she wanted to surprise her by bringing her breakfast. She's just too sweet. Though she said she'd come down right after dropping off the food and that was almost an hour ago now. Guess someone got a little distracted if her red tinted and slightly plumped up lips are anything to go by.